Question GTX 970 PC Crashes Frequently

May 15, 2019
I switched from GTX 780ti to 970 since the former stopped working. However, since I switched to 970, my pc started crashing very frequently and it's not like I changed the games I'm playing. It crashes 1-3 times during a single Dota autochess game.

For the record, I updated the drivers as soon as I installed the new GPU.

I'd appreciate your help and advice.

May 15, 2019
Full system specs, especially PSU make and model, and the following:
CPU, Motherboard, RAM, storage, video card and case.
Thanks for taking the time,
Specs:
Video Card: GTX 970 Windforce
PSU: SeaSonic - X Seroes 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
CPU: i7 -4790k @4 GHz
RAM: Corsair - Vengeance Pro 8 GB (2 x 4) DDR3-2400
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z97x-UD5h ATX LGA1150
Case: Cooler Master - HAF X ATX Full Tower Case
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD

First, try a clean installation of Nvidia drivers, there will be a checkbox if you download them from their website. It's possible that the card you bought is defective.
The video card was working fine for my friend (I took it from him after my old one stopped working). And I did a clean installation.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Thanks for taking the time,
Specs:
Video Card: GTX 970 Windforce
PSU: SeaSonic - X Seroes 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
CPU: i7 -4790k @4 GHz
RAM: Corsair - Vengeance Pro 8 GB (2 x 4) DDR3-2400
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z97x-UD5h ATX LGA1150
Case: Cooler Master - HAF X ATX Full Tower Case
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD
Try using this tool to entirely remove them then repeat the installation. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html Your system is compatible with the card for sure, but if the completely clean re installation of the graphics drivers does not solve anything try updating your motherboard BIOS: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97X-UD5H-rev-10#support-dl-bios

May 15, 2019
Try using this tool to entirely remove them then repeat the installation. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html Your system is compatible with the card for sure, but if the completely clean re installation of the graphics drivers does not solve anything try updating your motherboard BIOS: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97X-UD5H-rev-10#support-dl-bios
i think I used it before, but I'll try again.

Also, make sure the card is properly seated in the slot, the power connector is properly plugged in. When you say your PC crashes, do you mean it shuts down or the game just closes?
What I mean by crashes is that the game and PC freezes, including buzzing sound or whatever sound effect was playing when it crashes. The pc remains frozen until windows restarts and does the normal recovery thing.

As for making sure the video card is in place, I'm doing so right now. Will update this thread if the problem is resolved.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
i think I used it before, but I'll try again.

What I mean by crashes is that the game and PC freezes, including buzzing sound or whatever sound effect was playing when it crashes. The pc remains frozen until windows restarts and does the normal recovery thing.

As for making sure the video card is in place, I'm doing so right now. Will update this thread if the problem is resolved.
Worst case scenario it is a PSU issue, as your power supply may have killed your GTX 780 Ti, but I have that exact same unit in my PC and I have stressed it with an FX 8350 @ 1.5V, two GTX 770s, an AIO with dual 140mm 3000RPM fans, and four drives with no issues. Is the card also in the topmost slot on your motherboard?

May 15, 2019
Worst case scenario it is a PSU issue, as your power supply may have killed your GTX 780 Ti, but I have that exact same unit in my PC and I have stressed it with an FX 8350 @ 1.5V, two GTX 770s, an AIO with dual 140mm 3000RPM fans, and four drives with no issues. Is the card also in the topmost slot on your motherboard?
I hope it's not the power supply, and yes the graphics card is in the topmost slot in the mortherboard.

May 15, 2019
Have you tried reinstalling Windows? This doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me, freezing of a game is usually software related. Still, try running memtest86 to see if there's any issues with your RAM. As hftvhftv said, the PSU can most likely be ruled out now.
I did the full memtest86 test with no errors.

Honestly I'm giving up. I'm just going to just build a new pc...

I did the full memtest86 test with no errors.

Honestly I'm giving up. I'm just going to just build a new pc...
It's up to you if you want a new PC, but honestly you're giving up a bit too easily, some of these troubleshooting threads can go on to several pages before getting a resolution, you just need to be patient with your PC. Again though, it's up to you.

If you decide on continuing the troubleshooting, try reinstalling the game, and if that doesn't work, try reinstalling Windows.

May 15, 2019
It's up to you if you want a new PC, but honestly you're giving up a bit too easily, some of these troubleshooting threads can go on to several pages before getting a resolution, you just need to be patient with your PC. Again though, it's up to you.

If you decide on continuing the troubleshooting, try reinstalling the game, and if that doesn't work, try reinstalling Windows.
thank you for your encouragement and help, this community is awesome (I'm so proud of this community). For the record, I did not crash again yesterday after the memtest86 for some reason I'll update this thread again if no further crashes happen (although I did lower the graphics settings to the lowest possible and everything looks like a potato) but then again it was crashing before even with the low graphics settings.

Regarding the game(dota), it's not the only game my pc crashes on, last time I played Civilization it also crashed in the same exact way and).

That being said, I wanted to upgrade my pc for a while now. I'll be upgrading the motherboard, cpu (to 6700K), RAM (to 16DDR4), and video card (to RTX2080). RIP savings.

thank you for your encouragement and help, this community is awesome (I'm so proud of this community). For the record, I did not crash again yesterday after the memtest86 for some reason I'll update this thread again if no further crashes happen (although I did lower the graphics settings to the lowest possible and everything looks like a potato) but then again it was crashing before even with the low graphics settings.

Regarding the game(dota), it's not the only game my pc crashes on, last time I played Civilization it also crashed in the same exact way and).

That being said, I wanted to upgrade my pc for a while now. I'll be upgrading the motherboard, cpu (to 6700K), RAM (to 16DDR4), and video card (to RTX2080). RIP savings.

You should probably look for a current gen platform instead of investing in an older platform now. Buy an 8700K with a Z370 motherboard, rest of the specs can be the same, the 8th and 9th gen have major upgrades over previous generations, and buying a quad core chip for gaming in 2019 is a fool's errand, that too with such a high-end GPU.

Back to the current PC, have you checked CPU and GPU temps while gaming?

May 15, 2019
You should probably look for a current gen platform instead of investing in an older platform now. Buy an 8700K with a Z370 motherboard, rest of the specs can be the same, the 8th and 9th gen have major upgrades over previous generations, and buying a quad core chip for gaming in 2019 is a fool's errand, that too with such a high-end GPU.

Back to the current PC, have you checked CPU and GPU temps while gaming?
Yea I switched my build to 9700k and Z370.

For the current build, I did not check the temperatures but the fans were running normally and I had the case's lid the whole time. There was no indication for overheating. If you have a program you recommend me downloading to check the temperature, by all means I will try it today.

Yea I switched my build to 9700k and Z370.

For the current build, I did not check the temperatures but the fans were running normally and I had the case's lid the whole time. There was no indication for overheating. If you have a program you recommend me downloading to check the temperature, by all means I will try it today.
HWMonitor or HWInfo64 are both good programs for this, and perhaps you can run a stress test to see if there is any overheating, like AIDA64.