GTX 970 performance halved when connected to the internet

RealBeast

Titan
You will probably never do as well online as offline.

If you are using wireless, that is likely your biggest bottleneck. I would try an Ethernet cable to determine if it is indeed your wireless or if it is the online servers.

You could also try some trace routes and ping the servers to see what you are getting

jiberz

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
Well when connected to the internet, performance was gutted.

Well I read about some streaming service that affected performance. Which was not currently running when I checked. But thought maybe there were remnants of the gold card configs. So I un-installed drivers, did a full manual sweep for files/reg. Then a fresh clean install and it seems to have fixed it.

jiberz

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
Ok not working again. I am stumped as to why I am getting these performance issues. But really disappointing. Got some new games I am keen to play and performance is almost like my old card.

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
How do you determine the performance cut? Did you made benchmarks? Which benchmark? What games? In what situations? Do you use wlan or wired? What hardware do you have, cpu and motherboard and such? Is it possible that your pc is affected by some type of virus or so? Or in the background updates are downloaded from Windows and other applications. Try this benchmark with internet connection and without: http://unigine.com/products/valley/

jiberz

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
It is the little USB WIFI dongle. When it is plugged in. GPU usage goes up to 99% and the card heats up. Unplug it and usage goes down to 20ish% and card cools down.

All games, but the definitive result came from heaven benchmark. On max, 20 fps at the start, unplug usb wait a bit fps doubles, plug in fps drops, unplug fps goes back up.

RealBeast

Titan
Either there are driver conflicts, or more likely when you play online you introduce the latency of your wireless connection to the game and gaming is very sensitive to high latency. Just try an Ethernet cable and you will see a big improvement, although perhaps not as fast as offline play.

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
I don't think that this is an issue with regular latency wireless connection. He have problems with frames per seconds and with the Heaven Benchmark and all games. This must be some sort of driver issue.

Can you try a different wifi dongle, if you don't have a cable?

RealBeast

Titan
Which is why I suggested in the first post that he try a cable to see if it fixed the problem. While I agree that it could be a driver issue as I said, I don't think that it *must* be a driver issue.

jiberz

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
Ok I have fixed the issue. It was BIT Coin minner malware. Which explains why it would only run while I was online. Jeez it was an ass to find and get rid of. Found with roguekiller64.

Like you I thought it was driver/dongle, But I grabbed a different brand one out of a mates computer and the same thing happened, which baffled me. But then through process explorer I could see two of 8 engines running at max when online. Then I knew it was virus/malware.