GTX 970 performing at half the performance? (CPU Thermal Throttling Issue)

Solution
I would advise you to re-read my original post. I said the OPs cpu is NOT WORKING AS EXPECTED, not it is bottlenecking. This is CLEAR from the link the OP posted. A similar system with the same CPU gets a physics score of 6748.0 while the OP's system gets a physics score of 1949.0 .

this is also NOT a driver issue. there are NO CPU drivers. ILIKEPIE2575, please download hwmonitor and run 3dmark again, and repost here the max cpu temps, as shown by hwmonitor. I feel like your CPU is overheating and thus throttling performance to prevent damage.

oczdude8

Distinguished
Well If you look closely, your graphics score is almost the same, but your physicis score is terrible. Physics is handled by the CPU. There is nothing wrong with the 970, your CPU is not working correctly. This may be due to overheating.

limitzvfxgoespc

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

the i5 is not the bottleneck *end of story*

limitzvfxgoespc

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

I would re-install the drivers or re-install windows

ILikePie2575

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014

Holy crap, that response was near instant. I'll try reinstalling the drivers

ILikePie2575

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014

Quick question, what drivers do I reinstall? The CPU drivers? And I don't know exactly where to find them either. Sorry. :??:

oczdude8

Distinguished
I would advise you to re-read my original post. I said the OPs cpu is NOT WORKING AS EXPECTED, not it is bottlenecking. This is CLEAR from the link the OP posted. A similar system with the same CPU gets a physics score of 6748.0 while the OP's system gets a physics score of 1949.0 .

this is also NOT a driver issue. there are NO CPU drivers. ILIKEPIE2575, please download hwmonitor and run 3dmark again, and repost here the max cpu temps, as shown by hwmonitor. I feel like your CPU is overheating and thus throttling performance to prevent damage.

Solution

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

Good spot on the poor physics score. The second link the OP posted has one oddity; under "maximum turbo core clock", the OP's system says 1,596 MHz, while the sytem being compared against reports a more accurate 3,591 MHz. Definitely sounds like something is off about the current setup of the CPU, be it overheating, or an incorrect setting in the BIOS.

ILikePie2575

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014

Okay. Thank you so much man. I'm sorry I didn't catch your response. Yeah, my Temps are off the charts. I think I'm gonna try and take out the CPU and buy new thermal paste and reapply it. Because I think I messed it up when I was building my PC since it was my first time. I don't even know how it's working right now. I have temps at 90+ degrees Celsius. That would explain a lot. Lol.

limitzvfxgoespc

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

that is high lol! is it a second hand cpu?

oczdude8

Distinguished

Great, glad to know you found the problem. If you need some help installing the heatsink, look up some youtube videos to make sure you get it right.

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
If you have the stock cooler, try pressing gently the center of the fan with your finger while the PC is running (the fan will not stop spinning) and monitor the temperature. (in bios is good). If the temperature drops dramatically while you have your finger pushing the center of the fan, it just means your cooler is not properly in place and you will have to fix it. Just saying cause that's exactly what happened to me 2 weeks ago when building my PC. The cooler looked OK and everything, but it was in fact not properly installed. Temperature were about 60-65 idle, and were dropping to 40 with only the finger on it. (now 30-32 idle after fixing it)