Gtx 970 - possibly DVI Signal (strength) problems (produces artifacts)

expectations111

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Hi fine ppl of Tom's Hardware,

I recently picked up a Gainward 4gd rev 1.1 on ebay. It worked fine for about two weeks, then I got artifacts. First I got pink horizontal lines that are comprised of little rectangles moving to the left. The lines are uniform in size and uniformly spaced. I tested Vram with memtest CL 500 cycles with 3gb vram and got no errors.
A couple days later I ran Heaven Benchmark in loop for 30 minutes. After I closed it I got green artifacts that acurately reproduce what the gpu has to draw (like the windows logo or desktop icons) on a different x axis starting location than where the actual item is drawn.
When I ran another memtestCL the next day, 2500 cycles with 500mb, the green signal offset disappeared again and and still got no errors.
Using an analog signal cable in the DVI-I port vastly reduces any artifacts (if yo look closely, I think there is some strange things going on in how the picture is created though). I don't get any signal out of my DVI-D or HDMI ports, I can't try the displayport ports.
All this (and some research on dvi signal errors) makes me think it's a problem with the strength of the DVI signal or the display ports on this GTX (of which I see multiple reports around the web).

Is there anything I can do to try to fix this?

Things I tried:

• ■ Cables
    ■ Screen fed by a different source (my laptop's hdmi port)
    ■ going from gpu dvi to monitor hdmi - this tests the dvi port of the monitor
    ■ analog signal of the dvi-i port (much better result)
    ■ check the heat level of the gpu
    ■ flash GPU bios
    ■ try another PCIe slot
    ■ reset Mainboard bios
    ■ uninstall & reinstall drivers
    ■ Check the EDID data (seems fine, to the extent I'm able to verify)
    ■ Install monitor drivers
    ■ reduce the clocks on the GPU
    ■ reduce the dvi clock rate

Things I wanna try:

• ■ send it to a friend so he tries it as a sli card
    ■ connect a screen with a different digital input port

Thank you for your time!

Solution
If you checked different cables and bad cable factor is eliminated then graphics card is damaged -
either from overheating or overclocking.
You can't really fix anything. Get a new one.