GTX 970 Random Driver Crashing

itzhalo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2014
Hello TH community. I have lately been experiencing this issue where my GPU drivers will crash out of no where. This usually happens when am loading multiple web pages or just multitasking. It never happened to me in game (thankfully) and I just don't know what it is that is causing this. It always recovers but ends up going to a black screen for a good 2-3 seconds. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Solution
This is nVidia's doing, revert back to 347.88. Anything newer than that crashes again and again.
Firefox, Chrome, VLC, Witcher 3, etc. yeah...crashes on webbrowser, games, etc.
Your video drivers may have gotten corrupted somehow. Lets clean them out, and install the latest one.

1) Boot into Safe Mode with Networking. Hold down the F8 key while your system is booting to do this.
2) Uninstall all Nvidia items.
3) Restart your computer, and go back into Safe Mode with Networking
4) Download CCleaner
5) Install and run CCleaner. On the left side, there is a registry button, then analyze, and then fix any issues found.
6) Restart your computer, and go back into Safe Mode with Networking
7) Download the latest Nvidia Drivers.
8) Install the new drivers.
9) Reboot and let the system go to the desktop like you normally would.

That will leave you with a completely fresh video driver install.

Now we have to wait to see if you say its fixed or not.

meeko13

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

I have msi gtx 970 and have experienced this. driver below but first uninstall current driver and use this after uninstalling from control panel the drivers. This tool will clean the driver leftovers
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

After that install driver below this is for stopping tdr from chrome and firefox as well as other black out screen except witcher 3 when you are maxing out tdp it will sometime close to desktop or black screen.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-353-49-hotfix-driver-download.html

Hope this helps

itzhalo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2014
Thanks for all the replies guys. For now I am going to use DDU and install the current drivers and test some things out and see if anything happens. If it does crash I will revert to 347.88. I'll update you guys when I can!

Cleaning the drivers using DDU or CCleaner and install the latest driver won't work.
I've been there. nVidia has simply delivered untested stuffs.
I have the feeling than nVidia is preparing for Win10.
Anything above 347.88 crashes here and there.

I will give http://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocard-drivers.html hotfixes a try.
I tried 353.30 and it still crashes once in a while although the crashes are definitely already a lot less often than on the previous ones.

itzhalo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2014

Alright I'll just jump straight to 347.88 and if I see any crashes then there most likely is something else causing the issue. I think it most likely is the bad drivers considering this problem came out of nowhere and I did updates frequently.

Umm.. It works. I just helped someone yesterday where it completely resolved their problem. In fact this seems to work so well for people with various video driver problems, that I have saved what I suggested above and use it regularly now. There are always exceptions, but this does seem to work much of the time.

Jul 2, 2019
In case anyone is still looking for another answer.

I found a lot of crashes happen when vsync or frame limiting is enabled. The Gpu's fans turn off or something when not under load, and somehow don't turn back on. I've been using EVGA Precision X1 for three days to control the GPU fans and it's been perfect since then.

I used this fan curve in the program

TRENDING THREADS