GTX 970 reference/Blower type vs MSI GTX 970 4G

mykeloid

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Hi guys,

I just built a new M-ATX gaming rig and I'm kinda confuse whethere to get a blower type or the non-reference GTX 970. I just want to know if there will be a huge difference between the two in-terms of FPS and gaming performance. I don't want to spend $100 dollars more in a non-reference GTX 970 if there will be No/Minimal difference between the two in-terms of gaming. I'm not gonna do OC'ing btw

Solution

mykeloid

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I't does look bad TBH, I'm planning to use a Palit GTX 970 reference.

Palit/PNY/EVGA built their own. but it doesn't have the same cooler as the titans. It's just plastic. I don't care about aesthetics anyway. As long as I'm gonna get the best out of my money.

mykeloid

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

Well anyway, I just want to know if there's a big difference getting a non-reference GPU vs a Reference GPU in terms of gaming.

If you are looking at buying a GTX 970 then you're asking the wrong question because there isn't a reference version, each partner company has manufactured it's own PCB and cooler for the GTX 970's. If you are looking specifically for a blower style cooler then you'll be wanting to go for either PNY, EVGA or Gainward as they have all designed cards like that.

When it comes to which card to buy, that would all depend on how much money you have, and which card you like the look of.

mykeloid

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

Will there be a significant difference with it in terms of gaming? Will it have like 5-10 fps lower than the non-reference types?

Just to be absolutely, 100%, blindingly clear here, there is NO reference cooler for any of the GTX 970's. What you have are just blower style cards produced by each of the partner companies. Each one of them will be different and some of them may even be better than non-blower style cards. The only real difference you will notice is less heat inside your case. That's it. Nothing else.

mykeloid

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

Thanks for the info :p I think I'll be getting a palit gtx 970 blower style since that's the only one available in my country.

I've owned numerous Palit cards and found them to be very nicely made, you should do OK with one of those :) Good luck!

Solution