Gtx 970 sli for 2k @144hz

Solution
Easily :)

A single 970 can push most AAA games past 100 @ 1440 on low-medium settings. A pair should be able to run fairly high and still maintain 120+fps. If you want to max out everything on the most demanding games and still stay above 120fps, you'll need something stronger, though.
Easily :)

A single 970 can push most AAA games past 100 @ 1440 on low-medium settings. A pair should be able to run fairly high and still maintain 120+fps. If you want to max out everything on the most demanding games and still stay above 120fps, you'll need something stronger, though.

Solution
One more thing to consider is getting a gsync/freesync monitor as well. If you want to stick to NVidia cards, gsync would be significantly more expensive than the respective regular monitor.

However, Freesync monitors aren't much more expensive than the normal sync counterparts. The Acer XG270HU frequently goes on sale for $350 (it's a refurbished unit, but it's refurbished by Acer themselves). I picked one up last time it did. I'm running a single GTX 970 right now so I'm not getting the adaptive sync benefit, but I still have a 144hz montior. I plan on swapping to a Fury sometimes this year (or perhaps a Polaris-based card).

Cheers!