Question GTX 970 stops video output right after driver installation

ThSlash

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
The issue appeared right after a driver update around may of 2019. First time it happened randomly during a game. After that the card would output in bios but as soon you reached the windows logo the screen goes black and it says no video output on my monitor. I tested the card in a friends pc with nvidia drivers already installed and it did exactly the same thing. I couldn't find a way to fix the issue at the time and thought the card was broken. So I ended up borrowing a friends r9 280 and I was away for during the summer so I didn't test the card again. Recently I decided to give it another shot. So I unplugged the amd card and replaced it with the gtx 970. The system booted normally with no issues. I rebooted in safe mode deleted amd drivers with ddu and installed the latest nvidia drivers. 5 seconds after the nvidia driver installation starts the screen goes black. Again the card outputs normally in bios but as soon as you reached the windows logo no output. Is there any fix to this ? It seems to be an nvidia driver issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Specs:
CPU: R5 2600
MOBO: B450 TOMAHAWK
RAM:16GB 3200MHZ
GPU: PALIT GTX 970 JETSTREAM
PSU:CORSAIR RM850

Well if it was as EVGA I would say flip the card over get a magnifying glass and take a good look at the board on the bottom. look about a inch in a half from where the sli pins are and do you have burning or melting there. common on some cards. Newer drivers with these aging cards make them run hotter. I have one on my bench as we speak. Saved it before it self killed it's self.

ThSlash

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Thanks for the answer. No I don't see any melting. I also tested old drivers and it did exactly the same thing. No video output a couple of seconds after the installation starts.