Question GTX 970 Upgrade for Gaming and Design Rendering

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
Hi! Last year I got myself a Ryzen 7 2700X as an upgrade from a i7 4820k I used for several years, as well as some RAM and a new Mobo. However, I didn't get to upgrade my GTX 970 due to some budget reasons. It's been a while from then and I may now be able to afford a new GPU, but I wanted to hear from the wise some recommendations to best fit my needs. I game quite a lot, from games such as Fortnite to Wither 3, so as far as I know, I do require decent power. But also, lately i've been using quite a bit of design software to render, such as VRay, Autodesk Maya and 3DS Max, Rhino 6, and some others. I currently use a 1080p monitor, which im planning to upgrade to a 1440p 144Hz monitor (Some software kinda hates 4k, so I prefer to avoid it), so my question is: Which GPU could be a good option to get? (considering the aforementioned "needs"), and should I go for 1440p or better to stay in 1080p?

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
What's your budget? That dictates everything.

Also, does your software have a gpu manufacturer preference? Some software performs better on AMD or Nvidia.
My budget goes around 500 to 750 USD, considering that I live in Mexico and shipping costs tend to be quite expensive. Also, I do believe Nvidia GPUs do way better on these programs, I've heard AMD drivers bug in specific software, so Nvidia it is.

I picked up a used 1070ti from Ebay and it's so far handled everything I've thrown at it (1080p gaming with everything turned up, as well as some CAD/design software). Huge upgrade from my 970, which although it lasted me several years, was beginning to feel underpowered.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
I picked up a used 1070ti from Ebay and it's so far handled everything I've thrown at it (1080p gaming with everything turned up, as well as some CAD/design software). Huge upgrade from my 970, which although it lasted me several years, was beginning to feel underpowered.
Great hearing this from a GTX 970 user as well, but is ebay that trustworthy? I've been doubty towards that site for years, don't know what to think about it.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
When it comes to gaming, the killer will be when you upgrade to 1440p/144Hz. What would be easy for a card on 1080p (I am assuming 60Hz, as you didn't say) can bring a card to its knees when you try to push the same or higher frame rates on a higher resolution monitor.

This is something to consider, unless you're willing to turn down details, or limit the refresh/fps. Though, it does depend on which games you're playing.