GTX 970 vs GTX 760 SLI OC

Solution
If you have no overwhelming need to replace or add to your 760 right this minute, wait a couple months, or until the boxing day/black friday or whatever they call it sales. Pricing might be so attractive on a shiny new 970/980 with a great aftermarket cooling solution your decision will be made for you. Also a lot more benchmarking reviews will be out.

Of course, you might also be able to get another 760 for cheap like borscht then too, leaving you with the same conundrum.

Ahhh the joy of buying video cards. No matter what one you buy, a "better" one will go on sale next week. Every time..

Nuckles_56

Admirable
It depends, as the 760's in SLI will give you higher frame rates but that is at the cost of more microstuttering, heat and power consumption, so if you don't mind lower frame rates but want a cooler, more efficient setup then go with the 970 (the other thing is that you can always put in another 970 in the future, but there is little advantage to put a third 760 in...)

exroofer

Distinguished
That's kind of a tough call, but for me at least, the fact that 2/3s of the games I play do not support SLI/Crossfire meant I broke down and went for a top end single card solution, instead of Crossfiring another 7870 with the one I already had. It would have been a LOT cheaper for me to get a second identical card, and would probably have benchmarked very well, but in real world use I would not have seen the benefit.

Personally I would want a single faster card. but of course that costs more. Depending on what you like to play, your call may be different.

HuntKiller9450

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
i do tend to play games that are developed by mainstream dev's then indie (assassins creed 4 and such) plus i'm thinking (not my strong suit all the time lol) that SLI ready games will become increasingly more common in the next few years, meaning that a $345 investment into setting up SLI could be better then a $550 investment into a single powerful card that's very new.

HuntKiller9450

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

thanks mate :)

exroofer

Distinguished
If you have no overwhelming need to replace or add to your 760 right this minute, wait a couple months, or until the boxing day/black friday or whatever they call it sales. Pricing might be so attractive on a shiny new 970/980 with a great aftermarket cooling solution your decision will be made for you. Also a lot more benchmarking reviews will be out.

Of course, you might also be able to get another 760 for cheap like borscht then too, leaving you with the same conundrum.

Ahhh the joy of buying video cards. No matter what one you buy, a "better" one will go on sale next week. Every time..

Solution

HuntKiller9450

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
Thank you so much exroofer!! That's a very good point!! I think I will wait till I really need the upgrade in power and wait till the sales hit in the USA then ship it to my homeland Australia :)