GTX 970 What FPS would I get?

Oct 15, 2018
I'm looking to upgrade to a GTX 970, my setup would then look like this. My CPU being an AMD Athlon x4 860k, my GPU being a GTX 970, a 500gb SSD. What sort of FPS would I get with this setup?

Oct 15, 2018

Yeah sorry for being vague, games like Fortnite, GTA V, Overwatch, Farcry 5, and other sort of mainstream games.

RyanTodd1

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
In terms of viability that card is still definitely viable. It'll still run games mid-high settings.

HOWEVER, that CPU will drag your system down and will struggle with any form of large or new games. What is your current card? It may be worth keeping that and actually upgrading your CPU for extra FPS depending on what it is that you play.

Thanks,

Oct 15, 2018

My current card is a 750 ti and I think that it should be upgraded. I got told that I would have to get a new motherboard and RAM as well as a new CPU if I were to upgrade my CPU which would be outside my budget unfortunately.

RyanTodd1

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015

This is precisely the issue with low budget PC building. You will forever be upgrading it. Thing is, even if you buy that GPU your CPU probably wouldnt be able to make the most of it. With gaming PC its always worth taking the short term blow of say £1000 (most) and then have a decent PC for five years to come.

Otherwise, you'll forever be spending money on something that will probably never be viable.

But in short, yes you'll see some improvement probably 10-15 FPS depending on what you're playing i'd imagine.

Hope this helps,

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Coy bottleneck for sure. You will want a newer cpu. Hard to say exact frames, but not 60. I would guess like 30ish.

You could check prices of best cpu upgrade while keeping same hardware.. maybe buy cheap and used on eBay, but eventually you want like a mid level build so you save more long-term