gtx 970 with 60hz monitor at high settings instead of ultra for competitive gaming?

hujs

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
If I get gtx 970 with 60hz monitor and play games at 1920x1080 with med/high settings instead of ultra and very high to get fps between 100-120 will I be able to get that fps on 60hz monitor without tearing and shuttering?
If not how do I get 250-300 fps without tearing at CS GO and tf2 with use of 60hz monitor without using vsync.

Solution
A GTX 970 running a 1080 screen will give you fantastic performance. You can expect to run almost all current games at high settings around and above 60fps.

On a 60hz screen, it does not matter if you get 62fps or 300fps. There will no be any difference as your screen is only capable of showing 60 frames every second.

If you dont use v-sync, the GPU will try to load more than one frame on to the screen at the same time, and because the refresh rate of the monitor can't switch between them quick enough, the image will tear between the two.

DzOnIxD

Honorable
Feb 11, 2015
You can have 65467 fps in a game but on a 60hz monitor you will only be able to see 60 fps. That's why you should enable v sync, so the game will run at 60 fps with no tearing nor shuttering.

Gallarian

Distinguished
A GTX 970 running a 1080 screen will give you fantastic performance. You can expect to run almost all current games at high settings around and above 60fps.

On a 60hz screen, it does not matter if you get 62fps or 300fps. There will no be any difference as your screen is only capable of showing 60 frames every second.

If you dont use v-sync, the GPU will try to load more than one frame on to the screen at the same time, and because the refresh rate of the monitor can't switch between them quick enough, the image will tear between the two.

Solution

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
You should be fine at high fps without tearing/stuttering however you won't see more than 60 frames per second on your screen as your monitor can't refresh more than 60 times per second by Itself. It's better to play with maxed settings.