[SOLVED] GTX 970 with a 144hz FreeSync monitor

Mar 29, 2020
Recently I am planning on buying a new monitor.But all of the monitors in market only support freesync and gysnc monitors are so expensive.Besides my GPU doesn't support Freesync.So if I buy a 144hz monitor with a freesync when I get less then 144 frames is it gonna cause problems like tearing or stuttering ?

Solution
^ Yes. Nvidia GPUs can only do FreeSync over DisplayPort until HDMI 2.1 gains more market share (at which point you'll need both a monitor and Nvidia GPU with HDMI 2.1). Next gen GPUs coming this fall will likely support HDMI 2.1, but there are very few monitors that have that right now.

So I should buy it and upgrade graphics card in a year ?
Yes. With both AMD and Nvidia releasing new GPUs late 2020, sometime in early 2021 would be a good time to shop.
^ Yes. Nvidia GPUs can only do FreeSync over DisplayPort until HDMI 2.1 gains more market share (at which point you'll need both a monitor and Nvidia GPU with HDMI 2.1). Next gen GPUs coming this fall will likely support HDMI 2.1, but there are very few monitors that have that right now.

So I should buy it and upgrade graphics card in a year ?
Yes. With both AMD and Nvidia releasing new GPUs late 2020, sometime in early 2021 would be a good time to shop.

Solution