GTX 970s in SLI - display going into power save.

Krish931

Reputable
May 10, 2016
I use dual GTX 970s on an Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0, hooked up to a Dell ST2220M 1080p display via a DVI cable. System has been working fine, except on times where the display would suddenly go into power save mode (an alert which sounds like you've just unplugged a USB device would play) and the screen would black out. This I'd solve by simply disconnecting the DVI cable from the back of the GPU and connecting it again, which would bring the display back to life. So far this issue has only occured with the DVI cable (VGA and HDMI work fine, monitor lacks an HDMI input though). Any reasons as to why this would be occuring?

I may have gone a little off topic, but coming back to the issue at hand, today on using the system, I opened GeForce Experience on being notified of a driver update when the display went into power save mode again. This time, no amount of removing and reconnecting the DVI cable helped. I tried rebooting the system, which went back to power save mode once it got past the Asus logo where one gets the prompts to enter BIOS and so on. Point of fact: usually even this logo screen shows up at a crisp 1920 x 1080 resolution when all's working well. This time it was in some crappy 800 x 600.

I then opened up the system and cleaned the contacts of the GPUs with isopropyl alcohol (as well as the memory sticks, just in case). Swapped the positions of the GPUs (put the slot 1 card in slot 2 and vice versa) and fired up the system - same result.

Hooked up a TV to the system via HDMI - working flawlessly. Uninstalled GeForce Experience, manually downloaded the latest graphics driver and performed a clean install. Everything is running smoothly, except that now the card I'm having to use is the card in the second slot (furthest from the CPU), any connection to card 1 is not getting detected either by the display or in Nvidia Control Panel. The DVI is still not working, regardless of which card i plug it into.

Could this be a problem with the card(s), monitor, connector or cable? I can't seem to wrap my head around why this is happening.

As always, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Krish931

Reputable
May 10, 2016

Ah you mean a power strip/surge protector sort of thing? I do use that since my room is lean on power outlets, so I have to rely on a strip for the CPU, monitor, speakers..and a desk lamp haha.