GTX-980 6/8GB inbound?

StrikeDaMic

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Hello all

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread via search function. If it has, I'm sorry, please link me there.

I just ordered a GTX-980 4GB because my 2GB card couldn't max out everything anymore which, I guess, was partially due to the nowadays limited amount of GRAM. Today, I heard rumors about a 6 or 8GB variant coming out soon, but nothing solid exists about this. A very savvy friend of mine who owns a local OC/testing website and gets heaps of free testing material from manufacturers says he knows nothing about such a release.

I'm asking you: Do you think such a card (say, a 980 Ti) is inbound, meaning it's gonna come in the next two or three months? And apart from that, should I wait for that one or would getting an MSI GTX-980 Gaming 4G be good enough for the next, say, 1 to 2 years?

I have an i7-4770 and 16GB of HyperX DDR-1333 RAM. I run Windows 8.1 (though these days I wish I didn't...) and three monitors on 1080p, thinking about upgrading to 1440. Trying to get 100+ FPS with all games I can.

Thank you very much! :wahoo:

Solution
so far i haven't heard anything. rumor? i heard nvidia did not want to release 8GB version of 980/970 at all. why? my own speculation says maybe nvidia doesn't want 980/970 to touch Titan Black territory. as for 980Ti i believe such card did not exist. instead nvidia will come up with entirely new series with GM200 and 980/970/960 will be rebranded into their next series as lower tier card. other than that my crystal ball tells me that next titan (GM200 based) will come out next feb.
so far i haven't heard anything. rumor? i heard nvidia did not want to release 8GB version of 980/970 at all. why? my own speculation says maybe nvidia doesn't want 980/970 to touch Titan Black territory. as for 980Ti i believe such card did not exist. instead nvidia will come up with entirely new series with GM200 and 980/970/960 will be rebranded into their next series as lower tier card. other than that my crystal ball tells me that next titan (GM200 based) will come out next feb.

Solution