Question gtx 980 after using NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays

Chriss Angeh

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
hello im wondering if this info is right, since i just got a displayport for my gtx 980 reference model, and the 24g2 aoc monitor with displayport capability of 1.2 according to the monitor OSD

i pretty much had to do this because when i installed the displayport cable on my monitor/gpu and turned on the pc, the screen stayed black until OS showed up and i couldnt get into bios anymore, so i knew something was wrong and i came up through a post in another website that mentioned the same problem, and saw this firmware update for the displayport issue and decided to give it a go

View: https://imgur.com/a/vh0IHJo

View: https://imgur.com/a/ghAAZFt

i used this to update the gpu firmware for the displayport https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/ i honestly had no idea it would be a risky process.

http://www.vcom.hk/Product/DisplayPort_Cable/DISPLAY_PORT-CG631?id=47

this is the displayport cable i got, i thought the transfer rate should be 21.6 gbps according to the website displayport cable info, sorry i ask because i have no idea how this works.

thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Sorry to do this, please clearly state the issue you are currently experiencing,
Is the issue at hand is that you jump past the bios... but works as expected... let sleeping dogs lay.

Do you still have a black screen?

Without describing anything at all in the process you took what would you say the problem is?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chriss Angeh

Chriss Angeh

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
Sorry to do this, please clearly state the issue you are currently experiencing,
Is the issue at hand is that you jump past the bios... but works as expected... let sleeping dogs lay.

Do you still have a black screen?

Without describing anything at all what would you say the problem is?
I updated the post to clear out why I did the firmware update and I'm wondering why I had to do this even if the gpu and monitor should be ready to use from the get go, also during the firmware process there was some kind of artifacts showing on the screen so that got me worried, but after the update and restart the system now is able to enter the bios and is as you normally expect it, I'm sorry if my post bothered you or if you considered unnecessary, i just wanted to make sure what I did was fine and won't affect my hardware at any level.

I updated the post to clear out why I did the firmware update and I'm wondering why I had to do this even if the gpu and monitor should be ready to use from the get go, also during the firmware process there was some kind of artifacts showing on the screen so that got me worried, but after the update and restart the system now is able to enter the bios and is as you normally expect it, I'm sorry if my post bothered you or if you considered unnecessary, i just wanted to make sure what I did was fine and won't affect my hardware at any level.
No man, no problem! It works, beauty!
What you did appears fine as per documentation
I went ahead and read some of it.
You pulled off a VBIOS update, lots of people end up flubbing here.

Good news, everything is rocking and I wasn't even aware you could do such an update.

All scenarios are a go!

Chriss Angeh

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
No man, no problem! It works, beauty!
What you did appears fine as per documentation
I went ahead and read some of it.
You pulled off a VBIOS update, lots of people end up flubbing here.

Good news, everything is rocking and I wasn't even aware you could do such an update.

All scenarios are a go!

Ad c3po would say: thank the maker.
I was really scared it was gonna brick the gpu and kill my monitor even after the process.
Yeah I wasn't aware this was a bios update that's why I got so scared but i guess the software updated it in the end because it required it , it first scans if your gpu actually needs and update , mine did so I went with it, also any idea why gpu z says that my link rate is only 2.7gbps ? I thought the display port allowed 21.6gbps, again I have no idea how this works so I'm asking to know.

Reactions: spentshells
Ad c3po would say: thank the maker.
I was really scared it was gonna brick the gpu and kill my monitor even after the process.
Yeah I wasn't aware this was a bios update that's why I got so scared but i guess the software updated it in the end because it required it , it first scans if your gpu actually needs and update , mine did so I went with it, also any idea why gpu z says that my link rate is only 2.7gbps ? I thought the display port allowed 21.6gbps, again I have no idea how this works so I'm asking to know.
If I were you I would have connected in another way.

Thank the maker is right! I hope you enjoy the benefits, Refresh rate being one of them

Connected it how ?
Oh connected it using another form of connection, I won't get into explaining what I meant as it holds no value.

However..... you may be seeing only 2.7 for bandwidth due to the limitations of the hardware (I didn't get that far into the documentation, but that is likely)
The firmware update merely allows the device to output to a 1.4 DP device from what I read.

Perhaps I am again confused about the scenario as you are laying it out, my comprehension of what you have stated does not indicate you stated it incorrectly

Chriss Angeh

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
Oh connected it using another form of connection, I won't get into explaining what I meant as it holds no value.

However..... you may be seeing only 2.7 for bandwidth due to the limitations of the hardware (I didn't get that far into the documentation, but that is likely)
The firmware update merely allows the device to output to a 1.4 DP device from what I read.

Perhaps I am again confused about the scenario as you are laying it out, my comprehension of what you have stated does not indicate you stated it incorrectly
according to my monitor its capable of using only 1.1 or 1.2 when i check it on the OSD, and supposly this displayport cable i got is 1.2, for some reason nvidia firmware updater suggested that an update was due or required it, take it as you want, so i accepted and it did the update, restarted and now im able to get into bios like i normally would when using HDMI instead of this displayport cable i got.

Reactions: spentshells

TRENDING THREADS