GTX 980 or 970?

Legolas8181

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
I am looking to build a new system and I am unsure which card to go for. I am aware the 980 is £200 more for 10% more performance but the 980 is the king of the GTX cards (not including the Titans). Please only answer if you have experience with both

Solution
I doubt prices will drop unless the Fury cards can out-compete the 980Ti for less money. Given Nvidia's aggressive pricing on it (780Ti were quite a bit closer to $700 on release as I recall) there isn't a lot of room.

AMD's last several flagship releases have been at very High prices and only when Nvidia released a better performing product for less did the prices eventually come down. So if it is faster then the 980Ti, expect a high price tag.

AMD might be willing to take a loss on the cards, but I highly doubt it. Their use of the new HBM technology may not work in their favor here. Since it is a new production style, yields might not be good and individual chips prices could be quite high.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I doubt prices will drop unless the Fury cards can out-compete the 980Ti for less money. Given Nvidia's aggressive pricing on it (780Ti were quite a bit closer to $700 on release as I recall) there isn't a lot of room.

AMD's last several flagship releases have been at very High prices and only when Nvidia released a better performing product for less did the prices eventually come down. So if it is faster then the 980Ti, expect a high price tag.

AMD might be willing to take a loss on the cards, but I highly doubt it. Their use of the new HBM technology may not work in their favor here. Since it is a new production style, yields might not be good and individual chips prices could be quite high.

Solution