[SOLVED] GTX 980 Ti 6GB or GTX 1060 6GB?

teesnefisir

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2015
That is the doubt, in my country they are at the same price, both used. As I understand it the GTX 980 Ti is more powerful than the GTX 1060, for old games the GTX 980 Ti performs better, and for new games the GTX 1060. But I also understand that the new drivers greatly improved the performance of the GTX 1060.

Reactions: 2plash6
Solution
There shouldn't be ANY games where the GTX 1060 performs better than the GTX 980 ti. None.

The GTX 1060 is more on par with the GTX 970, not the 980 or 980 ti.

The only advantage I can see to going with the 1060 is that it uses a lot less power, so a lot more power supplies are probably going to be acceptable for use with it, even some mediocre models if the capacity is high enough to overcome them not being all that great, while the 980 ti is going to want to see a really good quality 600w or higher power supply.

Also, the GTX 1060 being newer, might have a bit more life left in it than the 980 ti. Might, you never know, it's always a gamble when you buy a used card and any of these cards you buy at this late date is either going...
There shouldn't be ANY games where the GTX 1060 performs better than the GTX 980 ti. None.

The only advantage I can see to going with the 1060 is that it uses a lot less power, so a lot more power supplies are probably going to be acceptable for use with it, even some mediocre models if the capacity is high enough to overcome them not being all that great, while the 980 ti is going to want to see a really good quality 600w or higher power supply.

Also, the GTX 1060 being newer, might have a bit more life left in it than the 980 ti. Might, you never know, it's always a gamble when you buy a used card and any of these cards you buy at this late date is either going to be used or many years old stock that's been sitting on a shelf somewhere.

And no, the GTX 1060 hasn't seen any kind of greatly improved performance through driver support that all other cards haven't also seen as well. There is nothing special about it.

What resolution are you going to be gaming at? What kind of settings do you expect to be able to run? What refresh rate?

Solution

teesnefisir

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2015
I intend to play in high or ultra settings @ 1080p 60fps, games like Dead by Daylight, Dying Light, GTA V, Crysis 3, Assassins Creed, Need For Speed Heat, Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 4, CS GO and some new games that I will surely have to play them on medium settings, or custom on medium with some options on high. But what I want is that it does not go below 60 fps. And also some editing. So the GTX 1060 isn't any better than the GTX 980 Ti today? For the PSU I do not think there is a problem, Thermaltake Smart SP850m 80 Plus Bronze.

teesnefisir

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2015

Also, the GTX 1060 being newer, might have a bit more life left in it than the 980 ti. Might, you never know, it's always a gamble when you buy a used card and any of these cards you buy at this late date is either going to be used or many years old stock that's been sitting on a shelf somewhere.

And no, the GTX 1060 hasn't seen any kind of greatly improved performance through driver support that all other cards haven't also seen as well. There is nothing special about it.

What resolution are you going to be gaming at? What kind of settings do you expect to be able to run? What refresh rate?
What about a GTX 1070, or RX 580 vs GTX 980 Ti?. (I make it clear that I want to move from AMD to NVIDIA).

Here comes some bad advice that has worked wonders for me.
If you don't have security concerns and use the pc for mostly gaming I have disabled specter and meltdown patches. It has done wonders for my fps.

For some this is a safety concern, on a gaming pc thats a different story for me anyhow.

Reactions: teesnefisir
So anyhow, I didn't mean to give you such a short answer earlier. The GTX 1070 is a good choice because it's about equal to the 980 ti in terms of performance, but is itself about 1-2 years newer than the 980 ti depending on when it was originally purchased, assuming you'd be buying it used.

If we're being honest, I don't like the idea of buying used cards because often they are not that much cheaper than an equivalent performing newer card and it's always like rolling the dice when you buy one. Yes, some people are lucky enough to get a good deal and get a card that lasts a while. Others, pay 75-80% of what the card cost new and it lasts a few months if that. Often they have problems right from the start which is why they were being sold in the first place. Ebay cards are notorious for this, no matter what anybody has to say about it.

If you could find a GTX 1660, 1660 ti, 1660 Super or RTX 2060, or an RX 5600, at a price you could afford, new, you would be MUCH better off, because you'd not only get a full warranty, you'd get a card that has a full lifetime of use ahead of it, instead of already having burned through at least half of it's useful life. And if you are buying used and can't get the card for less than 50% of what it cost originally, I wouldn't even bother with it. Save your money until you can afford a new part. Even in Argentina there is hardware to be had, new, if you are willing to bide your time or pay a little extra to get it brought in. Usually it is worth it.

If that's not possible, then just be very particular about what you buy used.

teesnefisir

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2015
So anyhow, I didn't mean to give you such a short answer earlier. The GTX 1070 is a good choice because it's about equal to the 980 ti in terms of performance, but is itself about 1-2 years newer than the 980 ti depending on when it was originally purchased, assuming you'd be buying it used.

If we're being honest, I don't like the idea of buying used cards because often they are not that much cheaper than an equivalent performing newer card and it's always like rolling the dice when you buy one. Yes, some people are lucky enough to get a good deal and get a card that lasts a while. Others, pay 75-80% of what the card cost new and it lasts a few months if that. Often they have problems right from the start which is why they were being sold in the first place. Ebay cards are notorious for this, no matter what anybody has to say about it.

If you could find a GTX 1660, 1660 ti, 1660 Super or RTX 2060, or an RX 5600, at a price you could afford, new, you would be MUCH better off, because you'd not only get a full warranty, you'd get a card that has a full lifetime of use ahead of it, instead of already having burned through at least half of it's useful life. And if you are buying used and can't get the card for less than 50% of what it cost originally, I wouldn't even bother with it. Save your money until you can afford a new part. Even in Argentina there is hardware to be had, new, if you are willing to bide your time or pay a little extra to get it brought in. Usually it is worth it.

If that's not possible, then just be very particular about what you buy used.
I was thinking of switching to NVIDIA, but if I can find one at AMD that competes with or is even better in performance than the GTX 980 Ti, GTX 1070, or GTX 1060, then I will stick with AMD. I found the RX 580, RX 590, GTX 1660, all those new at the same price as the used GTX 980 Ti. By the way, now I'm using Sapphire's R9 280X, it's about 4 years old, I bought it new, and it still works perfectly, but buying something used for years without knowing what its true use was gives me insecurity, you never know how long it can last, maybe days, weeks, months or years, or hours.

Last edited:
Your 280x is a lot older than four years. They stopped making those cards about five or six years ago. It was release clear back in 2013. So it's a seven year old technology. That's a lifetime in graphics card generations.

RX 590 offers nothing that you can't get from the RX 580, in fact, it's the exact same thing but with a higher binned GPU that is factory overclocked. Otherwise, pretty much identical.

Both are ok for 1080p gaming.

The GTX 1660 is a little better. The 1660 ti or Super are a little better than the 1660, for 1080p gaming.

The 980 ti is much better than any of those cards, but it's older, but it is certainly miles above your 280x.

The hierarchy is here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html