[SOLVED] GTX 980 Ti no performance increase after overclock

EliotZ

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
Hi! I've been dealing with some strange overclock results with my GTX 980 Ti card.

Firstly my overclock settings are looking like this:
GPU Clock: +50Mhz
Memory Clock : +500Mhz
Power Limit: 110%
No Voltage Increase

Now the issue:
When testing in many games that ususally run about 45 FPS in 4k resolution, after applying the overclock and seeing the clock speeds go up properly, I'm getting maybe +1 FPS at best. Which is within the margin of error, so it might as well be +0 FPS

I tried running a benchmark like Shadow Of The Tomb Raider's benchmark and I went from 37 to 38 FPS on 4k, High settings and that's it.

I've been having trouble increasing my GPU Clock much past +50Mhz without running into issues this is probably part of the problem, but as I understand the Memory Clock still should make a big difference. I have a LAPTOP with a gt740m pushing +340mhz on the memory clock (even though people saying that 300mhz is the absolute maximum) and with +0 Mhz on GPU Clock getting +25% boost in whatever application meanwhile my WINDFORCE GTX 980 Ti which I believe is the best model on the market is barely sqeezing half a frame if you take the margin of error into account.

My specs:
Ryzen 2700x
Windforce GTX 980 Ti (441.66 Driver Version)
32GB Ram DDR4
Windows 10 Home

Solution
Cpus and gpus are unique. There isn't 2 identical. As a result, some need higher voltages and some need lower voltages to remain stable, but nobody is about to test every unit they make to see exactly what needs what. So they'll set voltages high enough to cover any possible need. Just to guarantee stability.

I'm running my gtx970 strix at a 124% OC, with a 114% power limit. And have no need to touch the stock voltages. Very few do.

You won't see giant leaps, that's a common mistake made with gpu OC. The difference between models is pretty slim, a 2070 might see 10-15 fps higher than a 2060 at the exact same settings. So once you add a 3rd party OC version of the card, the difference gets slimmer until that 2060 OC version is 5-10fps...
Well you can see the difference, the issue is that memory speed wont increase the fps at all, but GPU clock will, but your 50Mhz isnt doing much.
For instance im using Unigine valley benchmark for that my 1050Ti would hit 1973 Core (Vs 1800~) at max overclock and results were awesome with +1000 Memory overclock.

Dont be scared to push GPU harder by increasing Mhz, just be very, very carefull with voltage.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpus and gpus are unique. There isn't 2 identical. As a result, some need higher voltages and some need lower voltages to remain stable, but nobody is about to test every unit they make to see exactly what needs what. So they'll set voltages high enough to cover any possible need. Just to guarantee stability.

I'm running my gtx970 strix at a 124% OC, with a 114% power limit. And have no need to touch the stock voltages. Very few do.

You won't see giant leaps, that's a common mistake made with gpu OC. The difference between models is pretty slim, a 2070 might see 10-15 fps higher than a 2060 at the exact same settings. So once you add a 3rd party OC version of the card, the difference gets slimmer until that 2060 OC version is 5-10fps behind a 2070. Along comes the user who adds OC on top of factory OC and there's a 2-6 fps difference. Overall you get to claim your 2060 will OC to almost 2070 levels, but it's highly doubtful you'll exceed it as the 2070 has extra cooling, extra vram, extra clock speeds, it's 256bit vrs the 2060 192bit etc etc.

It's 4k. That's brutal on any gpu, so without exponential increases in ability, OC will show very little gain. At 1080p you might have seen a 5fps increase, but with 4x the workload that 5fps becomes @ 1 frame per second.

If you think 100% gpu is getting you 37fps, that 2% OC you added equates to @ 0.7frames added. Moving to 38fps is about right.

Last edited:
Solution