GTX 980ti @ $650 USD = Overprice?!?

thehotsung8701A

Reputable
May 18, 2015
The GTX 980ti is about $150 overprice. It is not aggressive pricing regardless of how expensive the Titan X is. The Titan X is overprice garbage and should not be compare in price to the GTX 980ti. This is great marketing by Nvidia to fool buyer into thinking they got a great deal just because the Titan X was the biggest ripoff possible.

Solution
Even with the new Fury X, you pay 650, but you can't max EVERY single thing out and still get above 60, or even playable framerates. You would need many shaders to even be capable of doing that. NVIDIA's pascal is estimated to pack about 5000 cuda cores with HBM, but that comes out in 2016. So no, none of this will be possible for a while. If anything, you can only OC to your desire.
It's the same price as the 980 was at release. It's ~15% higher priced than the 980 was last week but ~35% faster. It seems reasonable, not that I was planning on buying a 980 due to it being high priced. However, it is quite consistent with what has been going on for the last couple years.

You don't have to like it, or buy it, but if it is worth it to you, it exists. It's also $100-$200 cheaper than the rumor mill was expecting.

fkr

Splendid
well compared to the 980 it is a good deal. it is allot of performance compared to the 980. i think the 980 was the biggest rip-off compared to the price performance of the 970.

the issue here is that all I have talked about was nvidia because nvidia was the only company with new products which allowed them to not have to be price competitive.

hopefully we get some good news this month as AMD has committed to bringing out a new card this month and the reveal should be the 16th of this month.

it is worth whatever people will pay, maybe they could make more if they charged less but at this point they would only be competing with themselves, unfortunately.

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

So....don't buy it?

g-unit1111

Titan
You do know that the price of a product is reflected by the cost of materials needed to produce said product right? When a company determines the exact pricing of an item, there's a science to it and it's not a guessing game. The GTX 980TI is going to have a higher price tag because the cost of materials needed to produce the circuitry and cooler are going to be higher than say a 970.

In this case, a lot of it goes into the research and development. The mark up over the materials is probably quite large, but they may spend half a billion dollars on development.

The GTX 980 Ti is not as overpriced as you think. You're getting a GPU with 6 GB of VRAM, 384-bit bus bandwidth, and 2816 CUDA cores, which is almost 50% more than the GTX 980. It's approximately 33% faster than the GTX 970, so yes, it's a bit overpriced considering that two GTX 970s in SLI will easily outperform it, but with a solid 6 GB of VRAM, it's built for 4K gaming and not stupidly overpriced like the GTX TITAN X.

thehotsung8701A

Reputable
May 18, 2015

This is why the GTX 980 should be no more than $450 in the first place. It is consistence with the GTX 980 when it came out because the GTX 980 is extremely over price.

The only good pricing Nvidia had was with the GTX 970 and that was only with the 2 game bundle, and not when it was first launch.

thehotsung8701A

Reputable
May 18, 2015

It still a re-brand is it not? It not like it a 14nm, it still 28nm to justify that hefty price tag. This is going to be the last leg of the GM200 card until Pascal come out.

I believe that you are 100% correct. This would explain why the GTX 980 Ti released only 2-3 months after the Titan X. It is salesmanship at its best. With that said, I'm the worse kind of consumer because I completely recognize nVidia's game and yet I'm purchasing the GTX 980 Ti anyway. I play in only 1920 X 1200 resolution @ 60 Hz. Although this card is gross overkill for my circumstance, the idea of running any game in high/uber settings with a card is simply too irresistible. But I just wanted to acknowledge your point, as it's certainly valid.

By the way, I recognized nVidia's pricing ploy because I live in New York City and our subway system is run by the MTA (Metropolitan Transit Authority). Every certain number of years, they announce a huge fair hike and try to justify it but stating all the service upgrades that will accompany the increases. In the end they raise the fair only somewhat highly but than cut services.

Be cool.

It is not a re-brand. A re-brand is taking the same chip and putting another name on it. This is a slightly cut down Titan X with half the VRAM. The process size has nothing to do with rebrands.

thehotsung8701A

Reputable
May 18, 2015

My bad, just get confusing with all the re-brand that AMD is doing with their r9 300 series. My point still stand though.

thehotsung8701A

Reputable
May 18, 2015

I disagree and here is why. AMD failure should not have anything to do with Nvidia pricing. If AMD fail to give the GTX 980ti a run for it money does not justify it cost regardless.

Now if the AMD gpu outperform the GTX 980ti by a wide margin and also cheaper, I bet Nvidia will reduce it price point back to stock msrp of $500 because it is overprice.

You can disagree all you want but years of watching the gpu wars has taught me a few things and that is that there is a reason nvidia owns 80% of the market. And the pricing directly impacts the other. Otherwise the r9 290x would be a 500 dollar card but they can be had for 260.

What makes it overpriced?

Hint: if not enough people buy it or maybe if they could make more money by selling more of them for less.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it and if you are lucky, few people will, so it drives the price down. I wouldn't hold my breath though, most people seem to be happy with the pricing. At least those who are in the market for one.

D

Deleted member 217926

All the early rumors I saw had it in the ~$800 range. I'm extremely pleased at both the $650 price point and its performance and will be picking one up to replace my GTX 780. If it had launched at $800 I probably would have waited until next year but the 780, while fine for slightly older titles at 1440p just doesn't hold up with the newest, most demanding games.

g-unit1111

Titan

Actually nearly all of it goes into manufacturing overhead. In accounting there's a thing called "cost pools" and R&D is generally included in a cost pool that's separate from marketing, worker salaries, factory maintenance, etc etc. Most companies don't include the cost of R&D in the release of a new product, that goes back into another cost pool.

Or to put it another way you have your raw materials. And you have the machine that is operated to produce the raw materials into the finished product that is the GTX 980TI. The machine costs money to operate. The more that the raw materials cost, the more it costs to operate the machine per unit to produce the product. The higher up the price of the unit, the higher up the costs to setup the machine to produce the product. This is what most of the costs of a product go into. Sure over time as the useful life of the product decreases, it makes it cheaper to produce the finished product as the cost of raw materials will decrease over time. R&D is not taken into account when producing the finished product.

thehotsung8701A

Reputable
May 18, 2015

I know the reality of the GPU war but I also think you agree with me regardless of this reality that it is still overprice, am I wrong?

And I totally agree with you, it really does suck for consumer and AMD need to get their act together. They also need to produce better CPU since they are also losing to Intel as well.

D

Deleted member 217926

No I don't see how it's overpriced either. If you buy this card or any card in this class you have already spent $400+ on a monitor that requires it. Quite a bit more in most cases. My 32" 1440p Samsung was almost the same price as the card. This is not for the budget segment. It's a high end product.