[SOLVED] GTX 980ti Dead Due to using 1 PCIe cable?

awongkh

Prominent
Jul 7, 2021
Hi Everyone,

So I am currently making an upgrade to my PC and these are the current components:
Intel i7 10700K
Corsair iCUE H100i Capellix
MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi
Corsair Vengeance 32gb RAM 3200mhz
GTX NVDIA 980ti
Corsair 850x
500GB 2.5" SSD (old hard drive from previous build and windows on it)
1TB 3.5" (old hard drive for extra space)

I was able to get the PC to post and get to the BIOS. But when the boot started, there seemed to be a lot of problems getting to windows. Thinking it was a software issue due to a corrupt file in my SSD, I brought it to Microcenter. After them taking the PC, and running their diagnostics, they concluded that I mistakenly used 1 PCIe cable, and daisy chained it to the 2 ports; when in actuality I should've used 2 PCIe cables. When I asked them if just adding another PCIe would solve the problems, they said no, and that my 980ti is dead.

Because of the current GPU market, I just want to make sure if what they are saying is true. Thanks for everyone's responses in advance. :)

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Seasonic were the first to state that you shouldn't daisy chain a PCIe 6/8pin connector that goes to your GPU, instead using their own individual harness that originates from the PSU end. It's possible, that your use of a daisy chain on a card that is already now on people's shelves or dustbin due to being damaged//stressed beyond their capability that the daisy chain could've been the straw that broke your camel's back.

You can yet take the GPU back and then try the GPU out without daisy chaining your PCIe connectors, then also trying the GPU out onto a donor system,(friend or neighbor) but please be sure to drop the GPU into a PC that has a reliably built PSU(like Seasonic) and has at least...

Lutfij

Titan

Seasonic were the first to state that you shouldn't daisy chain a PCIe 6/8pin connector that goes to your GPU, instead using their own individual harness that originates from the PSU end. It's possible, that your use of a daisy chain on a card that is already now on people's shelves or dustbin due to being damaged//stressed beyond their capability that the daisy chain could've been the straw that broke your camel's back.

You can yet take the GPU back and then try the GPU out without daisy chaining your PCIe connectors, then also trying the GPU out onto a donor system,(friend or neighbor) but please be sure to drop the GPU into a PC that has a reliably built PSU(like Seasonic) and has at least 650W at the entire system's disposal.

Side note, how old is the PSU in your above listed build?

Solution

awongkh

Prominent
Jul 7, 2021

You can yet take the GPU back and then try the GPU out without daisy chaining your PCIe connectors, then also trying the GPU out onto a donor system,(friend or neighbor) but please be sure to drop the GPU into a PC that has a reliably built PSU(like Seasonic) and has at least 650W at the entire system's disposal.

Side note, how old is the PSU in your above listed build?

The PSU is brand new. Bought just a few days ago. :/

awongkh

Prominent
Jul 7, 2021
Well I wouldn't think that using one cable would kill the card, but I guess it could, but I find it highly unlikely.
While it's not the best Idea, it works fine for a lot of cards. Try the card in another PC.

This is exactly my thought process when I heard the news. It seems odd 1 cable can stress the GPU that much. But will have a friend donate their rig to see if the card really is dead.

Reactions: spentshells