Question GTX 980ti randomly crashing .

xrock8

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2014
So i have an Msi Gtx 980ti blower edition gpu which i bought second-hand from someone over a year ago.
I have been running it fine until now. I was playing valorant a week ago and my monitor just went black and crashed after 10 secs or so. I tried turning my pc on but it was crashing right after the boot up screen.
I tried checking the temps(peak 85°) and tried again the next day it worked and i downclocked and turned down power limit from 100 to 90 , it was working 4 days but now today it happened again.
Things i have tried:
  1. tried installing latest and old graphics drivers
  2. cleaned the GPU and applied new thermal paste
  3. reduced the powerlimit to 90
  4. used different cables, different hdmi and displayport cables
  5. installed a fresh windows 10 OS.
Temps don't seem to be the problem cause i increased the airflow in my case now the highest it goes is just around 80° in furmark. The crashing just happens randomly anytime. And all other components seem to be working fine as i booted my pc without the gpu and it was running fine.

Rest of the specs:
i5 7600k
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GD5 V1
gigabyte motherboard
16gb corsair ram
Seasonic s12II 620 PSU
256gb nvme samsung

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Back when the 680 ti's came out, my friend had one and I had two. We both had the same problem. I think that generation of cards and their drivers just had a lot of problems. Their drivers specifically, were known to be very unstable and probably are even more so with recent titles. And it could also be failing, like hang-the-9 had said. Personally, I would look into an upgrade, after doing a bit of troubleshooting first.

Reactions: xrock8

xrock8

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2014
Crashing how?

Full reboot? To desktop? Bluescreen?

How about thermal pads? did you replace them as well? In a blower this would be extra important after all these years. Try lowering the memory clocks down 50-100Mhz
Crashing as in display turns off but fans keep spinning and i have to manually turn off the psu switch. And thermal pads were replaced a year ago , they seem fine as temps aren't getting any higher than 85 after running furmark for 15 mins. And yes as already stated i tried lowering the memory clocks as well, didn't help.

DSzymborski

Titan
Crashing as in display turns off but fans keep spinning and i have to manually turn off the psu switch. And thermal pads were replaced a year ago , they seem fine as temps aren't getting any higher than 85 after running furmark for 15 mins. And yes as already stated i tried lowering the memory clocks as well, didn't help.

Unfortunately, that suggests a PSU issue; this was not a good PSU to pair this GPU with.

DSzymborski

Titan
yeah it seems most likely , but i have been running it for about a year without any issues, don't understand why it's happening all of sudden.

Well, you don't actually know it's been running without issues. Only that there's been no obviously visible problem until now. Most damage PSUs do or have done to them is invisible up until something happens.

In any case, everything that has ever worked that breaks was working up until the moment it breaks, by definition.

Reactions: xrock8 and Tac 25

xrock8

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2014
Well, you don't actually know it's been running without issues. Only that there's been no obviously visible problem until now. Most damage PSUs do or have done to them is invisible up until something happens.

In any case, everything that has ever worked that breaks was working up until the moment it breaks, by definition.

Well i gave the card to my friend but he only has a 450w psu, corsair vs450w to be more precise, it crashed on his pc as well.