GTX MSI 1080 stops working when using liquid metal

Mar 22, 2018
When i apply liquid metal to my GPU it stops working. It just displays a grey box in the middle of the screen and then the display will shut off, but if i switch back to normal thermal paste it returns to normal. Any ideas why?

Solution
there is no practical reason to use liquid metal on GPU - the benefits are marginal at best.
as already pointed out, liquid metal is electrically conductive and the GPU is surrounded by a lot of exposed contacts. so you probably apply the liquid metal in a way it shorts things.
The recommendation is - stop messing with HW unless you know what are you doing and what implications are. You are lucky your GPU is still working. You could have easily destroyed it.

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I think liquid metal conducts electricity, or can create a short if touches 2 things it's not supposed to. If it seeps off the die and touches traces on the board, good bye card.

If the heatsink is grounded, and you use a conductive paste, everything the paste touches will be grounded. I know in the home stereo world, some heat sinks can be charged i.e. touch the tiny heat sink and you'll get a shock.

Consider yourself lucky if you didn't fry something.

there is no practical reason to use liquid metal on GPU - the benefits are marginal at best.
as already pointed out, liquid metal is electrically conductive and the GPU is surrounded by a lot of exposed contacts. so you probably apply the liquid metal in a way it shorts things.
The recommendation is - stop messing with HW unless you know what are you doing and what implications are. You are lucky your GPU is still working. You could have easily destroyed it.

Solution