[SOLVED] GTX Titan X (Liquid Cooled) OVERHEATING

Voodoo8648

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2015
I have a PC I had custom built in 2016. It has:

CPU: Intel 5930K
RAM: 32gb DDR4 2666mhz
GPU: GTX Titan X Hybrid (Liquid cooled from EVGA)

A few months ago the computer started crashing during graphics intensive gaming and seems to have gotten worse over time. GPU temps at idle would be around 50C and then jumping to 95C during gameplay (which is extremely high for a liquid cooled GPU. Back when I first got the PC idle temps would be like 32C and maybe 50-60C curing high end gameplay.

Today, I took the PC out and took it to where we have an AC compressor and I blew it out with air. The EVGA radiator was covered in dust, and now everything is nice and clean. I hooked everything back up and now the Titan X is sitting at 91C at idle!! 1% usage!!

I emailed NVIDIA support and asked them about it and they basically told me that I'm out of warranty. They offered zero help in troubleshooting. I emailed them back asking for help and they replied with one sentence: You can try re-applying thermal paste.

Any help here?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Did you already try new paste? It needs to be re-applied after a few years or so.

AIOs also break down after some time too. Best to have a Plan B for when that happens, because it's going to happen eventually.
Probably pretty difficult to get a hold of a new and working Titan X Hybrid kit these days, so that leaves the likes of the Kraken G12(AIO sold separately), or Arctic Accelero Xtreme 3 and 4.

Voodoo8648

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2015
Did you already try new paste? It needs to be re-applied after a few years or so.

AIOs also break down after some time too. Best to have a Plan B for when that happens, because it's going to happen eventually.
Probably pretty difficult to get a hold of a new and working Titan X Hybrid kit these days, so that leaves the likes of the Kraken G12(AIO sold separately), or Arctic Accelero Xtreme 3 and 4.
Thank you for your reply and sorry for delayed response... just now looking. I applied new thermal paste today. After applying a Pea sized paste, the idle temps started at 40C. I fired up a video game and it went to 92C. After shutting down the game the idle temp continued at mid 80s C. I opened back up, cleaned paste off cooling block, re-applied paste to the GPU and when re-assembling, I noticed one of the holes that screws the card to the block seems stripped. I can't get a good snug tight screw. The other 3 are good, but one screw just continues to turn. Anyways, I installed again, Idle after bootup was 40C, but gaming went to 91C+. After game shut down, the idle temps are mid 60s C.

So in conclusion, after adding paste twice, there is no change. I'm thinking it may be a contact issue??? Given that adding paste seems to make the idle temps initially go down to 40C UNTIL I start a game and it overheats, then possibly it fries the paste.

My next step is to try and take a tap and die set and re-thread the stripped screw hole and find a new screw to fit the new thread. If that don't work, then I'm guessing I'd need a new cooler..... I'm pretty sure the graphics card itself is perfectly fine and it'd be a real freaking shame to have to buy a whole new card just because of a stupid cooler going bad.

I will never buy another built in water cooler. I've learned air cooled is better in the long run.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So in conclusion, after adding paste twice, there is no change. I'm thinking it may be a contact issue??? Given that adding paste seems to make the idle temps initially go down to 40C UNTIL I start a game and it overheats, then possibly it fries the paste.
Contact problem tends to show itself right away though; idle would've also been terrible.
The paste doesn't 'fry'... some would dry out a bit faster when exposed to such temperatures for extended periods, like the popular TG Kryonaut.

Voodoo8648

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2015
SOLVED!!!
I wanted to report back as to what I did to fix the Overheating EVGA Titan X Hybrid. I am assuming the pump went bad on the EVGA Cooler.

1. I ordered the NZXT Kraken G12 GPU Cooler mounting kit from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZN9N85?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

2. Ordered Asus TUF LC 120 AIO water cooler from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H4SZFRH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Replaced the EVGA cooler with the new cooler and put everything back together and it works! Back down to 30C at Idle and 49C under heavy gaming.

Total cost for fix was $128.00 I am soooo relieved because I cannot afford another $1,000 dollars for a graphics card right now. Special shout out to NZXT for great help and communication. I will probably never buy another product from EVGA. They offered ZERO help whatsoever. Basically said that I needed a new graphics card.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I will probably never buy another product from EVGA. They offered ZERO help whatsoever. Basically said that I needed a new graphics card.
They more or less expect you to replace that gpu when the AIO fails, or buy a spare Hybrid X kit in advance. AIOs inevitably die, as well as EVGA discontinuing the Hybrid kit for that generation after a period of time.