Question gtx windforce 960 fans problem??

terious

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Hi all,

I have the gigabyte gtx windforce 960 card. https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N960G1-GAMING-2GD#ov I am having an issue with the 'silent stop' feature.
I can boot up to windows and the fans are instantly spinning with idle temp around 32c. This card should stay silent until it reaches 63c. https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Support/FAQ/3277 and vice versa.
Iv'e had this card since new and the 'silent stop' feature has worked before but I have now put this into a new MB (ASUS TUF A520m) and wonder if its some compatability issue?
I have tried some tests, I tried installing MSI afterburner to see if i could control this somehow. Fans work and are very noisy when I switch to full speed, but the custom fan curve doesnt seem to have affect i.e. setting curve to 0 to try stop fans etc. Uninstalled MSI afterburner, installed gigabyte oc guru 2, same thing. uninstalled.

Its not a big issue because the card seems to work fine, just wondered what might be going on here?

Many thanks

tecmo34

Administrator
Is the card showing the "Silent" LED light on but fans spinning or is the LED light not going on?

As for on booting up, it is normal for the fans to start-up on the boot until the profile is read and should stop.

Have you tried to uninstall the Nvidia drivers in safe mood with DDU and make sure Afterburner and or OC Guru 2 are uninstalled? Then re-install the current Nvidia drivers for your card to see if that helps.

I don't see anything on your motherboard that would make it not compatible with this feature, it is more of a driver / profile issue.

terious

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Hi, Thanks

The lights come on to show fan stop. until reaches 60c the lights should go out and fans start up. mine has lights off fans spinning on start up.

fans start up then stay on at low temps. well below 60c

I havent, will try this.

terious

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Before I tried using DDU, I uninstalled the nvidia driveranyway and restarted to windows and yes fans off 'silent' with leds on (y) Then ran valley bench mark to try raise temp and fans kick in at about 50c. :unsure:

going to try more tests