[SOLVED] GTX1070 8GB - DVI port not working.

Apr 6, 2020
Hi all.

Having now done the kids new build and having some parts remaining, I am now trying to put a PC up for normal use.

Now it's all done and windows 10 installed, using my 52 TV, I have taken all appart to set it up on the office desk on a old HP 20inc monitor using the conventional VGA to DVI adaptor.

Now this is is where the problem starts. I get no output on this monitor what so ever. I have been all over google and youtube, some say to disable CSM, other to change adptor power in the nvidias' software settings but after spending a good 3 hours now, I'm resorting to the forum and hopefully someone has come accros this and knows what's going up?

Many thanks in advance and hopefully this will work at some point.

Cheers.

Solution
... using the conventional VGA to DVI adaptor

If the DVI output on your graphics card is DVI-D, which I think it is, you have to use an active adaptor.

DVI-D is digital only, while VGA is analogue only. The conversion from digital to analogue signal requires an active adaptor

DVI-I on the other hand, carry both an analogue and a digital signal, which is why you can use a passive adaptor.

So if you are using DVI-D and a passive adaptor, that is the most likely reason for getting no signal, in my opinion
... using the conventional VGA to DVI adaptor

If the DVI output on your graphics card is DVI-D, which I think it is, you have to use an active adaptor.

DVI-D is digital only, while VGA is analogue only. The conversion from digital to analogue signal requires an active adaptor

DVI-I on the other hand, carry both an analogue and a digital signal, which is why you can use a passive adaptor.

So if you are using DVI-D and a passive adaptor, that is the most likely reason for getting no signal, in my opinion

Solution