[SOLVED] GTX1070 GPU Degradation

Jan 25, 2019
I recently bought (2 months ago) a used GTX 1070 STRIX OC off of Ebay, it runs fine both clock and temperature wise at base clock. Last weekend I tried overclocking it and started to get concerned about my purchase. It can barely overclock when compared to other GTX 1070 STRIX OCs, even a 20mhz core overclock will cause it to poorly render games and freeze (no hard crashes though). I maxed out the power limit when overclocking btw. Could this be indicative of my card being a thoroughly used mining card? Is there a way to find out how degraded the chip on my particular card is? Big thanks in advance.

Solution
Since you didn't list the brand/make/model of the PSU...well my first instinct was to say possibly an underpowered or poorly performing PSU. The power rating is enough based on your specs, but not sure if it is a quality model, how old it is, etc. I would say make sure you have the correct power cables connected, and that they are not on any kind of splitter (i.e. you have two things powered by one output cable).

Also I'm not an AMD expert and I don't know if there are any limitations with that motherboard (pcie issues or whatever), which may also be the case.

Otherwise, first run a full test suite with the card at base/stock settings (unigine, 3dmark, etc.). If you can, run a "torture test" rather than just a "benchmark" test. Run it...
Jan 25, 2019

750w PSU
GTX 1070 OC STRIX
Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8ghz (1.35v)
Asus b250 strix motherboard
6 RGB fans
Wifi Card (idk what brand)
2 SSDs (Samsung 850 and 860 evo)
NVME Samsung 960 evo
Toshiba 1TB hard drive

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
Since you didn't list the brand/make/model of the PSU...well my first instinct was to say possibly an underpowered or poorly performing PSU. The power rating is enough based on your specs, but not sure if it is a quality model, how old it is, etc. I would say make sure you have the correct power cables connected, and that they are not on any kind of splitter (i.e. you have two things powered by one output cable).

Also I'm not an AMD expert and I don't know if there are any limitations with that motherboard (pcie issues or whatever), which may also be the case.

Otherwise, first run a full test suite with the card at base/stock settings (unigine, 3dmark, etc.). If you can, run a "torture test" rather than just a "benchmark" test. Run it for at least 30 mins or so and just see what the stock settings get you. Always wise to have baseline numbers first.

Solution