GTX1080 Egpu worth it?

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Hi guys

I have a Lenovo Legion laptop with an I7-7700 cpu, 16gb ram and a GTX1060 6gb vram.

I Play just about all kind og games, Like Pubg, CSGO, Assassins Odyssey, Shadow of the tomb raider, Project Cars 2 ect.

Now i have the opportunity to buy a Gigabyte Aorus Egpu with a GTX1080 for about 450£ used, but mint cond.

But now i wonder is it worth it?

I use my laptop as a Desktop, with a set of Razer Mouse and keyboard. And i have a 27” 144hz 1080p monitor connectet to it. The reason why i have a laptop is that i sometimes game at my friends.

Thanks.

It all comes down to whether you're happy with the settings you can play your more demanding games on, and the FPS. If not, I would say that's a pretty good deal on the Aorus. Just make SURE that model of Laptop has adequate cooling, check a lot of technical reviews on it.

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015

Well atm im playing most of my games at High settings and about 50-60fps. But i would like to hit at least 100fps because i do have an 144hz monitor. The higher graphic settings within the 90/100fps range, the better:)

Yes, I understand, and DID pay attention to the display spec. However keep in mind playing at 100 FPS, even with a more capable GPU, is likely going to generate more heat, so you definitely want to make sure that laptop is well ventilated and has a decent cooler. A lot of laptops don't, which is why the 1060 Max Q was developed. The Max Q is made to clock to certain speeds for certain cooling solutions.

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015

Hmm tbh i thought that the laptop would generate less heat, because the gpu would be deactivated when a egpu is connected.

Right, forgot you were talking an external GPU. Still though, it's a different laptop that you haven't tried, and the CPU does heat up too. I would still make sure there's no weaknesses, even in cooling.

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015

I’ll search the internet about cooling of my specific laptop. I already have a laptop cooler stand which i haven’t used much, but i could place it under the laptop.