[SOLVED] GTX1080 got locked at 50% power

Siris__

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
GPU keeps power throttling and voltage throttling when going above 0.975V, cauing extremely low fps and fps fluctuation 140~40FPS with lowest settings @1080P in Apex legends, PUBG & BFV
I am using accelero xtreme iii with Noctua NF-A12x25@45% so fan speed shown doesnt matter
Screenshot : https://imgur.com/a/C9r0ZSZ
  • Tried clean installed 3 recent nvidia recommanded driver
  • Chaning power limit, temp limit and votlage using either MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision at once with multiple reinstall
  • Set voltage curve below 0.975V still power throttle
  • Reinstall graphics card
Specs :
  • GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G
  • R9 3900X
  • ASUS strix x570 i
  • Corsair SF750

Solution
I had to check the online mobo manual - that's not a feature present on this model.

Yes and using the built-in benchmark option

Undervolt and underclocked it by 200MHz to 1822MHz @ 0.9V running under 100W has no problem but that's under GTX1060 OC performance
And it's still capping at 50% power?

I've got one other idea.
Since you're using a custom cooler, are you sure it is fully compatible with the current gpu which has a custom PCB?
Some custom PCBs can cause fitment issues with custom coolers, and something may be overheating - besides the gpu core.
If that's not it, you may have to RMA the card... if it's still under warranty.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Has this always been an issue, or did it only start recently?

Download the latest driver package from Nvidia, but don't install it yet.
Download Display Driver Uninstaller: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
Disconnect your ethernet and run DDU(requires safe mode). Select the gpu driver to be uninstalled, and then click Clean and Restart.
After that's done, install the driver package, but install the gpu driver only - don't select the Geforce Experience option. Also, check the option for a clean install as well.

Go into Nvidia Control Panel > Adjust image settings with preview, select Use the advanced 3D image settings, and then click on Take me there.
Under Manage 3D settings, change Power management mode to either Adaptive or Max performance.
Don't forget to hit Apply before exiting.
Test again.

Siris__

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
Has this always been an issue, or did it only start recently?

Download the latest driver package from Nvidia, but don't install it yet.
Download Display Driver Uninstaller: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
Disconnect your ethernet and run DDU(requires safe mode). Select the gpu driver to be uninstalled, and then click Clean and Restart.
After that's done, install the driver package, but install the gpu driver only - don't select the Geforce Experience option. Also, check the option for a clean install as well.

Go into Nvidia Control Panel > Adjust image settings with preview, select Use the advanced 3D image settings, and then click on Take me there.
Under Manage 3D settings, change Power management mode to either Adaptive or Max performance.
Don't forget to hit Apply before exiting.
Test again.

Same thing with both adaptive and max performance nothing has changed.
It seems to happen after I installed PUBG which is within the last 5 days, not sure what happened there.
Tried on another PC with an 8700K, same 50% power limit

Siris__

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
In BIOS go to System Agent configuation, and set your PCIE speed settings to GEN3 instead of Auto
I can't find System Agent configuration instead under Tool\Graphics Card Information is the only one with PCIE related options, shows running at x16 Native
btw my Unigine Heavean score got cut by half at 56FPS
Scored : 1412 Min : 8.4 Max : 115.1 8xAA Ultra quality Extreme tessellation

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I can't find System Agent configuration instead under Tool\Graphics Card Information is the only one with PCIE related options, shows running at x16 Native
In bios, you went to the Advanced menu and then PCI Subsystem Settings(Allows you to configure PCI, PCI-X, and PCI Express Settings)?

btw my Unigine Heavean score got cut by half at 56FPS
Did you monitor it with Gpu-Z + Afterburner just like in your first post?

Siris__

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
In bios, you went to the Advanced menu and then PCI Subsystem Settings(Allows you to configure PCI, PCI-X, and PCI Express Settings)?
Only SR-IOV Support option is available
Did you monitor it with Gpu-Z + Afterburner just like in your first post?

Undervolt and underclocked it by 200MHz to 1822MHz @ 0.9V running under 100W has no problem but that's under GTX1060 OC performance

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I had to check the online mobo manual - that's not a feature present on this model.

I've got one other idea.
Since you're using a custom cooler, are you sure it is fully compatible with the current gpu which has a custom PCB?
Some custom PCBs can cause fitment issues with custom coolers, and something may be overheating - besides the gpu core.

Solution

Siris__

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016

I've got one other idea.
Still capping at 50%.
It's hard to tell, the cooler only has contact with the core and I put aluminium heatsinks on every compoments which has thermal pads on it at stock.
Maybe this is it, gotta RMA it, anyway thanks man