[SOLVED] GTX1080 SLI with 2 different brand cards...

FarmerFran

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I have a 1080 FE and my son has an EVGA 1080, can he SLI them? And do you have to have the SLI bridge?

SPECIFICS:
-EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5X, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 08G-P4-6183-KR

-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 8GB GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card

I just got a RTX2080 Super.

Solution
Yes you can SLI them, the slowest of the 2 will set the rythm. Yes, you need a SLI bridge, a SLI capable motherboard and a good and reliable PSU.

If you ask me, it's not worth it though. You would be better selling them both and get a single card like you did.
SLI is not supported in every game, actually most don't. The performance does not scale well and there are problems to be dealt that come with SLI.
Yes you can SLI them, the slowest of the 2 will set the rythm. Yes, you need a SLI bridge, a SLI capable motherboard and a good and reliable PSU.

If you ask me, it's not worth it though. You would be better selling them both and get a single card like you did.
SLI is not supported in every game, actually most don't. The performance does not scale well and there are problems to be dealt that come with SLI.

Solution

FarmerFran

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

MB is fine, older but fine - gigabyte Z170 gaming7
PS is overkill - EVGA supernova gold 80 1300W

off to find a bridge...

TRENDING THREADS