[SOLVED] GTX1660S: are both 6 & 8 pin plugsREQUIRED? Could I use 2 PS's?

hobkirk

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I have a 1660S I've never used. It has 2 power connector receptacles: one for 8 pins, one for 6 .
  1. My Corsair 430M PS has a 6 + 2 power connector. that I think is designed for a GPU.
  2. Will the card work if I only plug into the 8-pin connector?
  3. If not, do I need to get a different PS that has both a 6 and 8 connector?
  4. Could I use a second PS for the second for testing? The PS would be external, and only the 6-pin connector used. That way I could verify the 1660S card is good.
Thanks!

PS - I am not a gamer, but I keep thinking I will one day. But it keeps not happening, and now the card might be worth $500 (irrational, IMO),. I bought it from a gamer who was blown away by the RTX 3000 rollout. He had bought it one month before.

Last edited:
Solution
I have a 1660S I've never used. It has 2 power connector receptacles: one for 8 pins, one for 6 .
  1. My Corsair 430M PS has a 6 + 2 power connector. that I think is designed for a GPU.
  4. Could I use a second PS for the second for testing? The PS would be external, and only the 6-pin connector used. That way I could verify the 1660S card is good.
Thanks!

PS - I am not a gamer, but I keep thinking I will one day. But it keeps not happening, and now the card might be worth $500 (irrational, IMO),. I bought it from a gamer who was blown away by the RTX 3000 rollout. He...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks!

PS - I am not a gamer, but I keep thinking I will one day. But it keeps not happening, and now the card might be worth $500 (irrational, IMO),. I bought it from a gamer who was blown away by the RTX 3000 rollout. He had bought it one month before.

You have a low-quality PSU that's designed for office PCs and PCs with very light gaming GPUs. Either get a proper PSU that's appropriate for this GPU or sell the card. Those are your options. What's more worth it to you is up to you, really. Slapping on a second low-quality PSU instead of just having one good one is a very poor option.

Reactions: norcalsc
Solution

TRENDING THREADS