GTX260 SLi problem after plugged in 2nd monitor

richx

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Hi guys.

I have 2 gtx 260 in SLI and the problem is everytime I turn on my PC the 2nd cards fan is running at full speed until the boot screen shows on.Then only 1 card returns to normal speed and device manager in Win7 (x64) doesn't show second card. I have this issue since I plug in second monitor (SLi worked fine for 2 weeks).

I tried both cards separately in first blue PCIe (btw my mobo is M4N82 and GPUs are Palit GTX 260-216SP). Both cards worked. But in 2nd blue PCIe, PC beeps one long and three times short beeps (no VGA detected).

I tried this:
-clean drivers in safe mode with driver sweeper->remove one GPU->install drivers->plug in second GPU
-after this I updated mobo BIOS with official update (piece of cake with asus tools)
-with/without SLi bridge
-swap cards
-swap power cords

but nothing...
I also noticed one (maybe useful) thing. Card in first PCIe is warm on touch, but card in 2nd PCIe is always cold (no matter what card is plugged in).
So, second PCIe just died or what?

Thank you for help or suggestions.

You need to plug the 2nd card into the 2nd PCI-E slot, which is black. The 3rd is Blue and would be used if you have a 3rd card. You also need the SLI bridge connecting both cards.

richx

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
So I tried to plug in into middle slot, but it won't fit. Backplate is in collision with fan on card.

I just realized that my PC know that in 3rd slot is something with PC Wizard 2009.

Before instalation of 2nd card:

Bus PCI-Express :
Version : 2.0
Port : 2
Physical Slot : #0
Slot Populated : No
Link Width : x16 (max. x16)
Link Speed : 2.5 GB/s

after:

Bus PCI-Express :
Version : 2.0
Port : 2
Physical Slot : #0
Slot Populated : Yes
Link Width : x16 (max. x16)
Link Speed : 2.5 GB/s

but device manager couldn't recognized it. I tried also change the OS PnP yes/no, but nothing...

richx

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I find another interesting thing:

Slots Information :
Slot PCI-Express : Available (32-bit) 3.3v, Shared Slot Opening
Slot PCI : Available (32-bit) 3.3v, Shared Slot Opening
Slot PCI : In Use (32-bit) 3.3v, Shared Slot Opening

aj don't have anything in PCI slot, and one vga is running fine in PCIe.
There is something terribly wrong I think.

Something is amiss, if both cards work when in the primary slot but neither work in the secondary and you have more than enough power then a faulty board is looking like the root of the problem unfortunately. Have you checked the slot to make sure there is no dirt or dust in it that could be causing loss of connection?