GTX275 Hardware Installation

amillion

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Hey - thanks in advance ;)

Thinking of buying a GTX275 to replace a 7600GS but the motherboard (Asus P5E VM HDMI) has a crap layout :( and that the second half of the card will either sit on top of the SATA connectors (that's if the PCI-X connector is on the right of the card as you look down) or obscure the slot that I have an Asus Xonar in (if the connector is on the left of the card as you look down).

Anyone know of a motherboard compatibility-type list for the cards that will help me identify how well it will fit before I go ahead and buy it?

Better still, has anyone fitted one? What problems did you have?!

THANKS! :bounce:

amillion

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Thanks!! As it's a 2 x 3 bank, won't the 90* cables obscure one of the other connectors? I'll have to go have a look and see what I can just do with it...

Meant PCI-E (hung over!!)

I think with the top 2 sata ports you could use 90 degree angled sata cables and use 90 degree sata cables for the bottom 2 aswell

So the top 2 sata cables would face upwards towards the top of your case, and the bottom 2 sata cables would face downwards towards the bottom of your case.

Hopefully you dont have any more than 4 sata components

amillion

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Yups you're right - 3 actually ;)

Having now thought about it tho - isn't a GTX275 a bit ... well ... a bit of a bad buy? I'm gonna go check out the Charts and see what Tom says :p

Well I think it is, but I may be alittle biased as I have a HD5850, If your not bothered about DX11 then a HD4890 is cheaper than a GTX275 and performs about the same. Or if you can spend alittle more you can pick up a HD5850 which performs slightly better than a GTX285.

amillion

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I did the flip to nVidia a while ago and haven't seen a reason to flip back --- (I make it sound like I'm making pancakes). Availability is the arse on EVERYTHING at the moment. Not impressed... And yeh do want DX11 but being cautious (as I suppose most ppl are) re: Fermi. But then it's still gonna be £300 either way... I just want to get rid of this crappy 7600GT...!!!! Playing GTA IV is like watching Question Time on mushrooms...

:lol: Well if you can wait a few months for Fermi, then wait. As its likely that there will be a price war and the price of a 5850/5870 will come down, Or Fermi will be a better deal, Who knows.

But if you cant stand question time anymore then the 5850 is the way to go, I'm sure you'd be happy with it. Good luck :)