Gtx285 cooling

Vorg

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2001
have read that for the 285, nvidia removed 1 pipe from the heatsink design so that the cards run just as hot as the older 65nm cards. Do any of the xfx, evga, bfg cards come with better cooling then ref design or are they all ref cept for clock speeds?

Vorg

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2001
If that is the water block I think it is, its the Danger Den block which is nice and the one I would go with if I went water. But I went water last time. It adds a lot to the cost, have to keep watching for leaks, and all cooling depends on 1 pump working. Pump fails, everything over heats. Heat pipe was nearly unheard of when I built my last system. In fact water cooling was still fairly new. Heat pipes can be just as quite and can provide cooling even of the attached fan fails because they get cooling from all air flow in the case and many cpu heat pipes hardly even need a fan.

The big problem is the video cards. Then now take 2 slots and even with heat pipes seem to be marginally cooled. Water is nice as you get the extra slots back, but I have to keep cost down.