GTX470 SLI issue (Also issues with one card at a time)

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Hey guys. Me again -.-

I'm having an issue with my graphics cards, have been for quite some time.
I currently own two GTX470's in SLI, both encounter this issue.

I have gone through numerous motherboards and even switched to Intel in the time I've had these cards, reinstalled Windows, tried many drivers and even use MSI Afterburner for my custom fan speeds (which are higher than the normal fan speeds).

My issues started late last year, both cards display this problem.
When playing games, after a while the computer will hang and the screen will artifact with the following artifacts which I have highlighted in red:

Any way to fix this? Or will I be forced to upgrade? Thanks in advance.
I think I already know I'm going to have to buy new cards. Just thought I'd ask anyway.

Solution
You need to track down which card is defective and rma it. It is the vram on one of the cards is partially defective telling from the corrupted image and text shown.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
@Singemagique Neither of the cards are under warranty :(

@nforce4max Both display this issue, in different motherboards and by themselves (as in, one in the computer at a time).

I think it's a good excuse to upgrade? :3

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008

They do it in most, not all but most games. The hanging and artifacts normally only happen after 10-20 minutes of gameplay but it can happen much sooner then that.
There is nothing that really triggers it off. I've monitored temperatures and they are always below 65C with my custom fan speed profile.

Clocks are those of reference cards, no attempt made to overclock them in the past and no chance of it happening in the future.