GTX480 - couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triton05

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Friend of mine hooked me up with a GTX 480 for cheap. So far everything has been fantastic with the card. But I have a few questions. ( Those that might own one )

First off temps.. holy smokes. Playing BF3 this thing is @ 91C. I understand its a hot card but is it supposed to be THIS HOT?

Because of this, Im avoiding any sort of OC to the card. Its running at stock 700Mhz. Could I OC the card? or is it better off leaving it alone due to the already high heat?

As is, I pull 5710 in 3DMark11 (P)mode. I assume this is where I should be?

Thanks for any input.

The GTX 480's do run hot, it will start down clocking at about 100C. I have 2 and purchased the aftermarket coolers. That dropped the heat produced by 30C. Now you can't even hear them running in SLI at 100% load.

If you want, check out Arctic Cooling for the GTX 480. I swear by them and their products just work and are near silent.

Triton05

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Auto - it gets to 71% speed at 91C and it sounds like a hairdryer blowing out of the back of my case.. so I dont really want to auto set it any higher LMAO!

Im def going to look into those aftermarker coolers... the fit the ASUS GTX480 using the ref. PCB board?

Triton05

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009

Didnt realize the coolers were 80 - 100 bucks each.. I think Im allset with that!! :eek:

if you manually set the fan speed it might not even reaching 80c under full load. but the reference cooler on GTX480 really is loud when you ramp up the speed. regarding the after market cooler it should fit as long as the cooler have GTX480 on compatibility list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS