Gtx560ti abd e6550. Just how bad will the bottleneck be?

tbone36109

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
To explain my situation, I was previously running two 8800gt in sli, but recently one of the cards died. So it seems like a good time to upgrade my video card anyhow. So since I have a little over $200 for a budget, the gtx560ti seems like the best choice at around $230.

As far as ram/psu/etc, I'm not really concerned about issues. The catch though, is I'm still running a lga 775 system with an e6550 overclocked to a little over 3.1ghz. I know this will bottleneck the card, but in terms of real world performance what would that actually mean? Would I be losing potentially 20fps of performance in games over what the card would do with a slightly higher processor?

I understand that this will vary greatly on a game by game basis, but I'm just trying to get some understanding of what the bottleneck would actually amount to. I mean, this should still be a noticeable upgrade from the 8800gt sli correct?

Also, I do play games at 1920x1080 resolution. And just in case its a concern(although I dont think it should be) I have 4gig of ddr800 oced, asus p5n-e sli mobo. I also have aftermarket cooling on the cpu, north and southbridge of the mobo, ram, and a good case, so cooling isnt a concern.

Sorry if my question seems a little general, but any information I can find doesn't really seem to give me any perspective of what a bottleneck like this would feel like.

Thanks

tbone36109

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
thanks for the reply. yeah I wanted to move up from say a 460 to be more future compatible, but I didnt want to think I wasnt getting any kind of upgrade for the over say a 460 for all the extra cost because my cpu kept it back so much. I normally dont have alot of problems in games. but it always hard to tell if the ones I do have are cpu or graphics releated, so I just wanted a little idea of what I was getting. Especially since I havent bought any hardware in a couple years so I'm a little out of things.

TRENDING THREADS