[SOLVED] GTX590 Overheat and fan won't ramp up

Hello. Today I was playing some Half Life 2 on my computer. I was monitoring temps with MSI afterburner overlay. GPU1 was un the 70s and GPU2 went to about 85c, which is normal since I have owned this card. All of a sudden I look up and my GPU2 is at 100c and the framerate had dropped significantly. I opened hwinfo64 and the fan speed for the card was at ~1000-1100rpm, which is about 1/3 what the fan speed used to be while gaming.

I closed the game and opened MSI afterburner. The fan speed was set to auto. I tried adjusting fan speed and If I drag the slider to 100% the slider just resets to 0 after I try applying settings. The fan speed does not change.

I know the fan speed control in MSI afterburner used to work, but will not now.

I tried uninstalling MSI afterburner but still the fan speed is stuck to 1000-1100RPM in games causing the card to overheat and throttle.

What is causing this?

GPU: GTX590 with SLI enabled.

Solution
could you post a gpuz screenshot of your gpu?
Is there a reason you are constantly asking for a GPUz screenshot? I am not trying to be offensive, I am honestly curious.

Hello. Today I was playing some Half Life 2 on my computer. I was monitoring temps with MSI afterburner overlay. GPU1 was un the 70s and GPU2 went to about 85c, which is normal since I have owned this card. All of a sudden I look up and my GPU2 is at 100c and the framerate had dropped significantly. I opened hwinfo64 and the fan speed for the card was at ~1000-1100rpm, which is about 1/3 what the fan speed used to be while gaming.

I closed the game and opened MSI afterburner. The fan speed was set to auto. I tried adjusting fan speed and If I drag the...

I closed the game and opened MSI afterburner. The fan speed was set to auto. I tried adjusting fan speed and If I drag the slider to 100% the slider just resets to 0 after I try applying settings. The fan speed does not change.

I tried uninstalling MSI afterburner but still the fan speed is stuck to 1000-1100RPM in games causing the card to overheat and throttle.

What is causing this?

Maybe you want to try reflashing the gpu bioses?

could you post a gpuz screenshot of your gpu?
Is there a reason you are constantly asking for a GPUz screenshot? I am not trying to be offensive, I am honestly curious.

What is causing this?

I would suspect fan(s)/fan header going bad since the card is old enough to manifest such problem.

I would also try reseating the card in the PCIe slot. While the card is removed, clean the slot of dust and the gpu contacts with a cotton swab with some isopropyl alcohol.
Of course you need to wait a bit so the alcohol vapors but you are a far more knowledgeable contributor than I am and you already know that!

Solution