GTX590 - What should I sell for second hand?

Jimmy_DA

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Currently running dual GTX 590's atm and they're now starting to show their age. Hence am thinking of upgrading (thinking of either a GTX970/980 or R290X - willl sli/crossfire too at a latter date).

So what price should I expect to get for my 590's individual (will consider selling as a pack for a cheaper price than both individually).

Solution
Many will probably say they don't have that much value as gaming cards because of newer moels which are faster,
use less power, etc. Strictly for gaming, they perhaps have a point, especially with the release of the 970/980.

However, the 580 core is very strong for CUDA with pro apps like After Effects (AE), so that's really the key target
market for selling a 590. For AE, two 580s are faster than a Titan Black (my system has four 580s; performance vs.
2x Titan Black confirmed via various CUDA tests such as Blender Cycles, Arion, etc.)

A normal eBay sale will be quicker, but you'll receive less. If you spend some time hunting for suitable for-sale
sites related to video apps (eg. creativecow.net quite likely has some comments about...

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Many will probably say they don't have that much value as gaming cards because of newer moels which are faster,
use less power, etc. Strictly for gaming, they perhaps have a point, especially with the release of the 970/980.

However, the 580 core is very strong for CUDA with pro apps like After Effects (AE), so that's really the key target
market for selling a 590. For AE, two 580s are faster than a Titan Black (my system has four 580s; performance vs.
2x Titan Black confirmed via various CUDA tests such as Blender Cycles, Arion, etc.)

A normal eBay sale will be quicker, but you'll receive less. If you spend some time hunting for suitable for-sale
sites related to video apps (eg. creativecow.net quite likely has some comments about where to sell stuff), you
can get about 2X more compared to selling them on eBay.

To give you some idea of what I mean, I'm expecting to sell a 3GB 580 soon for approx. $400, being bought by
a movie company for CUDA coding. The 580 is faster than the entire 600 series for this, and it beats all of the
700s aswell except for the 780 Ti. If I listed the same card on eBay, it would likely only sell for quite a bit less
than half as much, perhaps a third.

Guess it depends on whether you want a quick sale or max return.

Ian.

Solution