GTX680 and 7970 vram

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl1zz4rd

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I've been becoming rather annoyed by the lack of solid answers with reference to the vram amounts on the two top single-GPU cards available at the moment being sufficient for gaming. What is certain is that as it stands, the GTX680 is the best, despite it's smaller amount of memory.

I am not concerned about pricing, temperatures, fan noise or appearance. I merely want to have a card which will be able to sustain playing every single game that is currently out and will be released before the next generation of GPUs are launched. I want to be able to play them with ALL the settings on MAX, everything that can be enabled, enabled and with 'decent' FPS (ie. no lag.) I have been doing the same thing for ages - buying the top single-GPU card, playing everything on max for a year and then getting another, so as to keep up with the games which are released.

I have a number of questions that are unanswered, despite my reading and watching numerous reviews (both specific to each card and comparative) and scrolling through a large amount of threads related to the topic.

1. Why is it that Nvidia released the 680 with 2GB when they knew that AMD had a card out with 3GB. Providing more memory would make the cards last longer. Was it due to their knowing that without it, the card would still win, and therefore they saved on costs? I have read, on multiple sites, that the 680 is in fact what the 670 was going to be and was labelled the 680 when Nvidia saw that their expectations of the 7970 were greater than what was produced.

2. How is it that Nvidia managed to get the 680 to win, with less memory? Is it due to the fact that games don't require more than 2GB at present? Is it because of the memory clock being higher? (I have read somewhere that this may be the case.) Does the processing power counter the card having less memory?

3.Do games at present require more than 2GB of vram? I know this relates to the above question, but it's distinct. Will there be games throughout the next year that do? The next Metro, Crysis 3 and Max Payne 3 are all games that I suspect of doing so.

4. Is there a way to tell, genuinely, how much memory a game uses? I have seen opinions amounting to 'a game uses whatever is available, so if the card has 3GB, the usage results will be close to this.' If that is true, how is the actual usage determined?

I can already see this thread being filled with people saying 'blahblah, games don't require more than 1GB of ram, i still have a card-x and it runs everything on max' and 'if you want to run multiple monitors, you need more than 2GB, otherwise not nonsensenonsense.' There will probably be a lot of biased opinions, due to certain people liking one of the two brands more. Hopefully, there won't be much of that though, and the thread can be a logical, fact-motivated discussion, rather than a harsh debate.

I am accustomed to building PCs and keep up-to-date with the latest hardware developments. I say this so that people don't suspect me of being a complete noob, with a lack of understanding, and decide to explain things using simple terms.

I am gaming with a 27" 1080p LCD and would like (if possible with a single card) to get above 60fps in all games. If not, I may consider getting another. No other components in my system will result in the card's performance decreasing. For the sake of equality, I will be buying a stock card, using a reference PCB design and cooler. If it turns out that the 2GB 680 will last until the next generation of cards, then I'll get it, as I like the new technology that Nvidia has included, such as FXAA, adaptive V-sync and the proven-to-make-a-difference-in-visuals PhysX. I don't care that only a few games use PhysX, if the option is available, I'd like to be able to make use of it. Better graphics are better. Aah, circular logic.

G

I may sell my 7950 for $300 if interested

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Well I don't know why I keep visiting this topic but whatever. I just remembered why we shouldn't care for vram. It's said that BFBC2 uses so much as 1.9ghz vram right? Well I had 2 gtx 460´s 1gb in SLI and I never saw it going below 60 fps in any multiplayer scenario only with 1gb! So we shouldn't even bother about that. Regards

G

Oh ya not with ultra settings with 4x aa you didnt.I had a pair of zotac gtx 460's 2 gb versions and they couldnt even accomplish that.Not in ultra anyways.try again though

G

Im just giving you a hard time:) maybe i enforce my opinions to strongly.I agree vram isnt an issue now but will see what tommorow brings

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Yeah man peace from here too :) I have nothing against the 7970 as a matter of fact I almost bought it too (crossfire) but it's a really good card and AMD is a very good company (I prefer amd over intel) so we'll see what the future brings to us. Cheers

Interesting part from that review:

"SLI smoothness vs. CrossFireX smoothness

We don't know what other descriptive word to use, other than "smoothness" to describe the difference we feel between SLI and CrossFireX when we play games. We've expressed this difference in gameplay feeling between SLI and CrossFireX in the past, in other evaluations, and we have to bring it up again because it was very apparent during our testing of 680 SLI versus 7970 CFX.

We can't communicate to you "smoothness" in raw framerates and graphs. Smoothness, frame transition, and game responsiveness is the experience that is provided to you as you play. Perhaps it has more to do with "frametime" than it does with "framerate." To us it seems like SLI is "more playable" at lower framerates than CrossFireX is. For example, where we might find a game playable at 40 FPS average with SLI, when we test CrossFireX we find that 40 FPS doesn't feel as smooth and we have to target a higher average framerate, maybe 50 FPS, maybe 60 FPS for CrossFireX to feel like NVIDIA's SLI framerate of 40 FPS. Only real-world hands on gameplay can show you this, although we can communicate it in words to you. Even though this is a very subjective realm of reviewing GPUs, it is one we surely need to discuss with you.

The result of SLI feeling smoother than CrossFireX is that in real-world gameplay, we can get away with a bit lower FPS with SLI, whereas with CFX we have to aim a little higher for it to feel smooth. We do know that SLI performs some kind of driver algorithm to help smooth SLI framerates, and this could be why it feels so much better. Whatever the reason, to us, SLI feels smoother than CrossFireX.

Personally speaking here, when I was playing between GeForce GTX 680 SLI and Radeon HD 7970 CrossFireX, I felt GTX 680 SLI delivered the better experience in every single game. I will make a bold and personal statement; I'd prefer to play games on GTX 680 SLI than I would with Radeon HD 7970 CrossFireX after using both. For me, GTX 680 SLI simply provides a smoother gameplay experience. If I were building a new machine with multi-card in mind, SLI would go in my machine instead of CrossFireX. In fact, I'd probably be looking for those special Galaxy 4GB 680 cards coming down the pike. After gaming on both platforms, GTX 680 SLI was giving me smoother performance at 5760x1200 compared to 7970 CFX. This doesn't apply to single-GPU video cards, only between SLI and CrossFireX."

darksalvatore

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
BigMack70

some people told me that in CF they have micro sutterings ... one person ahs 6970 in cf and he told me same ... i never had sli or cf .. but if i get 7970 ...i plan to cf it for sure .... it will be sad if i will feel some shuttering :( did you have any experience with radeon crossfire ?

darksalvatore

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Davemaster84

don't you notice that there is no minimum fps ??? better average fps does not me allways beter minimum fps .. simple logic .... i may have 80 average fps but 40 fps drops ... or have 60 avg fps and 50 drops ....

Bl1zz4rd

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
At the beginning of the thread I said I really wanted (and still do) it to consist of facts, and people to use logic and discuss the content and their opinions in an open-minded and civil manner, rather than attacking each other and turning the thing into an uncomfortable debate. As I continued to read the comments on page two, I saw the latter begin to develop and was saddened. I really enjoy following the PC hardware developments and talking to others about their favorites, but that *** is just annoying as hell. It's unnecessary. Fortunately, the majority of it seems to have disappeared now. Hopefully things can remain calm from now on. Then a more fulfilling conversation can be had.

photonboy and Davemaster84, you both mentioned there being no need for 3GB of vram at the moment, which, again, has already been established in that modded skyrim has the ability to use more and various other games are close to 2GB at present. That, coupled with my earlier point about a number of imminent releases seeming as though they will use more, means having 3GB/4GB is beneficial.

photonboy, i do agree with your comment about TXAA and tessellation being used in games more soon and creating a larger gap between the two cards. That's definitely good, as those two features will result in games looking much better than they currently do. That links with my want for PhysX. I watched a YouTube video about PhysX effects in Batman: Arkham City and it made me want an Nvidia card even more.

recon-uk, I was just about to post that link referring to the GTX690. I had an interesting time earlier seeing what the popular sites had to say about it (although they were, as I expected, very similar, due to the amount of available information being small, and all coming from one source - the geforce gathering in shanghai) and finding updates on the Nvidia sites about occurrences at said convention.

The above GPU aspects make for a situation where I'm leaning more and more towards getting a 690. The new cooling and power (not that power matters to me, as I said before) advancements that I was hoping would appear on the card, have, and this makes me happy and even more willing to get one. I was surprised that Nvidia had gone so far with their stock design, with the new materials they've used. I thought I'd have to wait and get a custom designed card from one of the manufacturers, but perhaps Nvidia has provided enough from the start. I'll wait for reviews and comparisons to make sure.

The 690 does have 4GB of ram, but one site said that there's 2GB for each GPU to access. Does that mean that it's the same as if two 680s were in an SLI configuration? Will there be 4GB to use? The other thing that still concerns me, and therefore makes me hesitant to buy a 690, is that the 7990's memory will, as the 7970's is to the 680's, be better than the 690's. With everything (from what i can gather) being doubled, the 7990 will have 6GB of vram using a 768 bit bus width and having a bandwidth of 480GB/s, as opposed to the 690's 512 and 384.512. That being said, after looking at comparisons in reviews of the 590 and 6990, the two seem to be extremely close, negating the need for the 6990's extra memory. All the ones that I saw amounted to 'neither card is better, but get the 590 because it's quieter.' That doesn't help much at all. The same thing that the 680 and 7970 are doing now. I can remember seeing similar results when I was looking at reviews when that generation was released. What was mentioned numerous times was the fact that people believed Nvidia held development of the 590 back due to not wanting to create something that was too loud and hot, as well as going over the TDP limit of 300W. Now that the new advancements for those aspects are present in the current series cards, I'd like to see Nvidia produce something worthwhile, which genuinely is the most powerful GPU they can provide gamers with.

Bl1zz4rd

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Yeah, that'd be cool. I wonder how much it costs the manufacturers to add more memory to the GPUs. If only the 680 had more, I'd get it immediately and be able to use all the features that the 7970 lacks.

When I start playing skyrim, I'll ask you for the specific mods you're using, so as to make mine look awesome as well. I was really disappointed by the fact that the new Creation engine from Bethesda Game Studios looks so bad. They said they're going to use it in "at least one more" game.

That information about the dual-GPU cards is really interesting. I had no idea the vram didn't double on those cards, always figured it did. The marketing is very deceitful. I'd be so annoyed if I only found out after I bought one. At least there are reviews to get facts from, provided they mention that. It'd be fail if they don't. You've saved me from wasting any more time with those cards.

What is the point of them though? If running two 680s in SLI mode is faster and cheaper than getting a 690, are the only reasons the ones I don't really care about? Heat and power consumption. If that's the case, that's really ***. There's no reason for me not to get two single-GPU cards in the event that that's true.

So,

GTX680 - new features and PhysX, but 2GB of memory.
7970 - lack of above features, but 3GB of memory.
both dual GPU cards - senseless to buy
GTX680 4GB - the card I should get, as it seems. Above features and large amount of memory.

darksalvatore

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
GTX680 - new features and PhysX, but 2GB of memory.
7970 - lack of above features, but 3GB of memory.
both dual GPU cards - senseless to buy
GTX680 4GB - the card I should get, as it seems. Above features and large amount of memory........

i read aLL your posts bigmack70 and Bl1zz4rd
and well ... u know bigmack70 is hard to wait for me but now my mind is creal and im sure that gtx 680 4gb version will be best for me :) it will be better for sli and for physx and for features to .. like adaptive vsync and TXAA...

but when 4gb version will be on market.. and how much it will cost ? :)

Bl1zz4rd

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Defs. I check every day for release dates and more information.

What STILL concerns me is the fact that, despite the 4GB version having more memory, it has the same bus width and bandwidth as a stock 680.

The 7970 has 3GB and both those aspects increase as a result. I'm guessing the reason for them remaining the same on the 4GB 680 is that it's easy to increase the vram amount but more difficult to increase the others. They're set to work well with the rest of the GPU by Nvidia and for an integral part of it, the result of which is changing them would be quite complex. If that's incorrect, then I see no reason for them to to be increased as well.

Do you know how they work in terms of memory overall? Will they have an impact on the 4GB of vram and limit it in some way? Will the 7970 with it's higher levels for those two aspects, but 3GB of memory remain better than the custom designed 680 because of that? It's annoying that it's so difficult to find a card that satisfies all my needs. It shouldn't be so difficult to have a high amount of memory, along with the appropriate bus width and bandwidth levels and all of Nvidia's amazing features.

darksalvatore

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
dude .... i was really enjoyed by nvidia cards .... but now when i see kelper cards .. they look really strange .... i mean specification .... they are like hybrids ..... weaker shaders ... less pwoer useage , but les memory interface .... and i saw many videos as bickmack said there solid overlocked gtx 680 has like 30fps dips on battlefield 3 ... 1920x1080 full ultra .... when 7970 has only 40-45 dips.... well maybe that is because of drivers .. but gtx 680 was out month ago .... and nvidia works on drivers fast as you know .. so that dips remain strange ....

http://images.tweaktown.com/content/4/6/4665_01_palit_jetstream_geforce_gtx_680_4gb_video_card_review.png

if you look at palit jetstream 4gb version .. you will see that it's same as 2gb version .. nothing was changed expect 4gb of ram ....
so i really don't know .....

only thing i know for sure ... 2gb version of gtx 680 is useless ... i even prefer gtx 580 3 gb version .... so there is a two ways ... get 7970 or 4g version of gtx 680 .... but as i said ... kelper looks to straing .. how to say it ... for me fermi cards looked more solid with stronger shaders and better memory interface ..... even 7970 tahiti looks more solid for me :)

but ask yourself ... nvidia future are really useful for you ?

nvidia : TXAA , Adaptive Vsync , Physx
AMD : MLAA 2.0 , Adaptive SSMA , Zero core , extra 1GB vram + better bus interface

it's up to you .. im like you dude for 2 week i can't make decide :) we are on the same boat

Bl1zz4rd

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
darksalvatore, it's an extremely difficult decision. At least we have this thread to help us make it. Eventually, when we're sure.

I need to look at those features you mentioned - MLAA 2.0 and Adaptive SSMA. If they are as good as their Nvidia competitors, it'll give me more reason to get a 7970. I know I'll want PhysX though, and hate myself for not getting a card that allows me to enable it in games.

Another point for AMD is increased bandwidth. That must make a difference.

Any chance you've got links for the videos where the 680 performs worse than the 7970 in BF3? It'd add to the information I already have in terms of comparing the two cards. Did it happen numerous times? You're right, that does seem odd. Once I've seen it, I'm sure I'll be rather skeptical about getting a 680, albeit a 4GB version. I don't mind waiting longer and seeing if the drivers assist with that problem and change the gap between the two cards. It could happen either way, as both companies should release updates soon. Hopefully someone can clarify whether or not the bus width and bandwidth levels will compromise the 4GB memory increase. I can't see how it doesn't, and either way, it's worse than the 7970.

Another thing to consider, linking with the above topic of drivers, is the ease of installing them. I really hate the AMD site and the process of downloading drivers, be it through the site or the catalyst control panel (config utility.) They're both unnecessarily difficult to navigate and unattractive, and it'd be easy to counter that. It should never have existed. Nvidia is the complete opposite. I like using the control panel and their site is much better, taking all aspects into account. Not only is it better than the AMD site, it's a nice site in it's own right, especially now, with the GTX690 flash link.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/home.html

G

What is Adaptive SSMA? I cannot find anything about it in goole :sweat:

homiezheadsup

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Your topic really intrigues me. I have been obsessed with building my system for the long haul for the past 15 years. The last complete build I did was in 2006 and I've kept that system until about 3 months ago. I've replaced everything with all the bells and whistles, all except for my GPU.

I have a GTX 280. It has served me very well. Except for DX11, this card having ~120GB/s of memory bandwidth has kept up with most of the mid-high range cards for the past 5-6 years. Longevity, stable, and powerful are the goals, and I will be doing the same thing on my current build, but with only one difference. One of my deal breakers will be coil whine. I swear I will never get a card that has coil whine ever again. To be honest, the only reason why I'm about buying a card right now and not waiting until the G110 chips come out is because of the whine. It's a very annoying issue in my otherwise very quiet system. Not only does my GTX 280 whine in games, it also whines when watching youtube or other flash based websites or watching HD content. I have been looking at replacing my GPU for the last year or so, and coil whine has been on my radar. From many articles onlnie the many of the 7900 series are falling to this issue. For this reason alone I'm not going to be buying a 7900 card until I see otherwise. This issue is not covered by warranty and no one will really understand it unless you have it.

Beyond this pesky noise issue, it comes down to raw performance. This is where I think the final nail in the coffin comes for AMD. Going by the OPs name, I'm curious to know if you are also into Blizzard games like me. I've really built my systems around these Blizz games and before people get all crazy about how the games do not push the limits of most GPUs and ect. When it comes real-time reactions and responses, every millisecond counts. CPU is definitely important and I believe I have that covered with a 2600k oc'd to 4.5ghz with 16gb of ram. Now the last piece to my dream build is the GPU.

While it is true Blizzard games scales really well for old systems therefore many people will feel that these games don't require that much power, but even if your system will "play" SC2 of max settings, it doesn't mean you can sustain the an average fps in a 3v3 with over 2000 units on screen all reacting in real time. I have only recently been able to find these benchmarks:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/404
While CPU really matters in SC2, there is definitely a leap in GPU that will take your normal 80fps system to a 180fps system. The gap in fps is huge, but the cards that are capable of this is very limited.
The above link along with many of searches that I've Google'd show that for some reason the Nvidia cards are doing a lot better with SC2 then the AMD cards. Especially at my resolution of 1680x1050, where the 580 beats even the 7970, and even @ 2560 res the 580s are still doing better than the 7950. I was really hoping for the 7000 series would have been something that met the 580's performance while being cooler and quieter. Well it maybe cooler, and more powerful, it has failed at both of my current deal breaking points.

After my research I am going with one of the 600 series this year. I'm waiting of course for the 680's to be in stock and I don't mind waiting for the 670 to be released so I can compare that card with the rest of the pack.

the only thing that would kill me is if I buy an 680 or 670 this year and the G110's come up early next year. For I like the 280, 480, 580 series of the Nvidia cards, but because the 680 is supposed to be the 670.... I'm not little hesitant to buy now. Makes me feel that the next leap is the one to jump in on.

darksalvatore

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
i agree with mikem711 and BigMack70

if you play WOW and want to see how it looks on DX 11 : ))) just buy card from 400 or 500 series witch are chaper .... i got like 50-60 fps on my old gtx 460 as i remember even on 1920x1080 :)

i alose don't understand why do you need 16gb ra m... 8 gb is overkill and im happy even with my 6gb :)

and don't forget gtx 580 is like 1 years old and drivers are more optimized for 580 then for 7970 ... u know amd is slower with makeing good drivers .... so if you wait 2-3 months more i think performance of 7000 series willbe improved like 10-15% more ..... as i remember gtx 580 gold like 30-35% improvment in games after 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.