GTX680 and 7970 vram

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl1zz4rd

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I've been becoming rather annoyed by the lack of solid answers with reference to the vram amounts on the two top single-GPU cards available at the moment being sufficient for gaming. What is certain is that as it stands, the GTX680 is the best, despite it's smaller amount of memory.

I am not concerned about pricing, temperatures, fan noise or appearance. I merely want to have a card which will be able to sustain playing every single game that is currently out and will be released before the next generation of GPUs are launched. I want to be able to play them with ALL the settings on MAX, everything that can be enabled, enabled and with 'decent' FPS (ie. no lag.) I have been doing the same thing for ages - buying the top single-GPU card, playing everything on max for a year and then getting another, so as to keep up with the games which are released.

I have a number of questions that are unanswered, despite my reading and watching numerous reviews (both specific to each card and comparative) and scrolling through a large amount of threads related to the topic.

1. Why is it that Nvidia released the 680 with 2GB when they knew that AMD had a card out with 3GB. Providing more memory would make the cards last longer. Was it due to their knowing that without it, the card would still win, and therefore they saved on costs? I have read, on multiple sites, that the 680 is in fact what the 670 was going to be and was labelled the 680 when Nvidia saw that their expectations of the 7970 were greater than what was produced.

2. How is it that Nvidia managed to get the 680 to win, with less memory? Is it due to the fact that games don't require more than 2GB at present? Is it because of the memory clock being higher? (I have read somewhere that this may be the case.) Does the processing power counter the card having less memory?

3.Do games at present require more than 2GB of vram? I know this relates to the above question, but it's distinct. Will there be games throughout the next year that do? The next Metro, Crysis 3 and Max Payne 3 are all games that I suspect of doing so.

4. Is there a way to tell, genuinely, how much memory a game uses? I have seen opinions amounting to 'a game uses whatever is available, so if the card has 3GB, the usage results will be close to this.' If that is true, how is the actual usage determined?

I can already see this thread being filled with people saying 'blahblah, games don't require more than 1GB of ram, i still have a card-x and it runs everything on max' and 'if you want to run multiple monitors, you need more than 2GB, otherwise not nonsensenonsense.' There will probably be a lot of biased opinions, due to certain people liking one of the two brands more. Hopefully, there won't be much of that though, and the thread can be a logical, fact-motivated discussion, rather than a harsh debate.

I am accustomed to building PCs and keep up-to-date with the latest hardware developments. I say this so that people don't suspect me of being a complete noob, with a lack of understanding, and decide to explain things using simple terms.

I am gaming with a 27" 1080p LCD and would like (if possible with a single card) to get above 60fps in all games. If not, I may consider getting another. No other components in my system will result in the card's performance decreasing. For the sake of equality, I will be buying a stock card, using a reference PCB design and cooler. If it turns out that the 2GB 680 will last until the next generation of cards, then I'll get it, as I like the new technology that Nvidia has included, such as FXAA, adaptive V-sync and the proven-to-make-a-difference-in-visuals PhysX. I don't care that only a few games use PhysX, if the option is available, I'd like to be able to make use of it. Better graphics are better. Aah, circular logic.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Not true. There are certain people in here who are strictly green and their attitude is reflected in every thread on this topic...you know who you are :non:
There are others in here who are trying to debate the pros and cons of both sides and getting flamed by green spam. You are one of those persons stating that the gtx 680 is simply better which is your opinion not a fact. As bigmack70 says, you cannot simply say one is better than the other. They each have pros and cons. If AMD does a better job with 3 monitor widescreen set ups than Nvidia it does not make AMD better. And the same goes for Nvidia at single monitor resolutions. Just because they can provide higher framerates at lower resolutions it does not make them better than AMD. This thread really needs to be closed.

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

Yeah I used strong words to make people react . In my case it's nost just that I bought the 680 'cause I blindly follow nvidia to whatever place it goes God no, I made my research, read benchmarks even made a topic here; I cannot tell how is the 680 on 3 monitors just because I don't have them and actually I'm not a surround - eyeinfinity fan ( I'd rather get a 1 thousand dollar 30 inch monitor with 2500 res), but in a single monitor I know it was the best choice. I think it's better if just we share our experiences with the cards as reconuk suggested.

One more thing it is not hard to find a 680 at 500 US today , here's a link (in spanish sorry) with the MSI 680 twinfrozr for 540

http://www.cometware.com/web/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=4717&category_id=385&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=18

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Ho ho ho sorry but you're talking about things you certainly don't know.Well that link is from a store I've been many many times which has been around for 8 years, actually they are a branch from a US store called the same way, please do not talk like you know how much is 1.080.000 pesos because you just don't know the currency : 1 Dollar = 1765 pesos in the paper but it's actually 1850 so it's eaxactly 560 US dollars for the twinfrozr, if you want the standard is for just 540. Why did I even mention it? Well because I was trying to make the point that the availability is not an issue anymore if you know where to look. Regards

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Yeah 560 but it's not the standard , actually the twinfrozr is more expensive. I did not post it waiting for someone to actually buy from it, it's a local store anyway. Well you'vre proof yourself that the 680 is no longer difficult to get and 540 is not overpriced at all (what are 40 bucks anyway) but whatever. I'm done here I hope the moderators close this topic for good. No hard feelings, regards.

guskline

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I just got a PNY 680 GTX yesterday to replace my Radeon 6970 2 G in my 3 monitor setup (3 24" 1920x1080 monitors). I own BF3 but don't play much. I like the flight sim Rise of Flight. First I WILL NOT knock the 7970. Don't own it, nor have I seen one in action. From what I've read a pretty powerful card that overclocks well and is pretty darned good for multi monitors. I decided on the 680 after comparing the multi-monitor articles and coming to the conclusion that it was a pretty advanced card plus had Physics. The 6970 is a solid card that struggled sometimes with higher settings on some flight sim missions. The 680? Mama MIA!!! What a piece of silicon. Smooth. Though my licensed version of Fraps shows a drop off in fps when all settings are maxed, it doesn't "feel" like it. The card is powerful, energy efficient it's like a race horse wanting more track to run. Nvidia Surround was very easy to set up and I've been running Eyefinity for awhile. As I said, I think it's childish to trash a 7970 or a 680. Sort of like saying my Ferrari ( if I could afford one!) is better than you Lamborgheni!

I can only imagine what 2 680 GTXs in SLI can do. That will have to wait until the price and availabilty kick in. BTW, I was lucky enough to snag a PNY 680 GTX from J & R in New York via their website. GREAT service fast shipping.

darksalvatore

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
i don't reddomend you gtx 680 sli on 3 monitors ... but for 2600x1500 it's good to :0 as i know even 6970 can max out BF3 with 30 min fps drops :) .... i think 680 can max out skrym with mods on 1920x1080 and there will be no problem .... but if you plan to run games on high resolutions ... well ....

guskline

agree with you .. it's like ferrari vs lamborgini :)) and there will be allways better canrd from ndivia or amd .. so does not matther who has the best gpu at the monet .. it will be changed 200000 times ....

G

thats a nice card dark.worth $410 yes.I thought my 7970 reference xfx was kind of loud once you get beyond 60% fan speed.Even the reference cards run cool though.

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

I do recommend you gtx 680 sli for 3 monitors , the card has been actually designed for that, there´s 1 video on youtube with 3 monitors set up running bf3 around 60 fps. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.