GTX760 Dual-monitor not detecting

Fairfuzzle

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
SOLVED
I recently decided to buy another monitor (Samsung S24D590PL LED Monitor) to have a dual-monitor setup, after I had used a LG M2250D with my PC for sometime now. In my PC, I have a 'Palit NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Graphics Card' (http://www.palit.biz/palit/vgapro.php?id=2178) and had used a DVI-I Dual link to VGA cable to display the screen onto my LG monitor.

Now when my Samsung came, I used this same cable and it worked, so there is nothing wrong with the cable.
I then decided to set up the dual-monitors, however I tried inserting a HDMI cable into the graphics card HDMI port to my LG and there is no luck as it just says 'No Signal'. I tried my DVI-D dual link to HDMI cable and that had no luck either.
It is worth noting that when i'd take all display cables out of my PC except HDMI, it would show the start-up and then show a black screen. However if i started the PC in safe mode the hdmi would work. I have updated my GTX 760 drivers.
When I go to change display settings, It can only detect the screen what I can see on. I have also tried the NVIDIA Control Panel and still nothing.
Hopefully somebody can help me with this as I just can't see what's the matter, I'm thinking of getting a DVI-D to VGA Active converter but they're pretty pricey.

Carl Blance

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
HDMI is bad in general but its a wild guess but hoping you have two DVI ports.... You must you 1 monitor for the bottom row of monitor input (DVI, HDMI, or Display Port) and 1 monitor must use the very top DVI port on the GPU. Think of it as two card joint as one but port semi seperating them, if you dont have dvi on the monitors buy an adapter vga to dvi or hdmi to vga or something.

Fairfuzzle

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Both of the monitors don't have a DVI input but both have VGA so I use a DVI-I DL to VGA cable which works fine and then the other DVI port in my graphics card is a DVI-D DL port. I have already tried using the DVI-I to VGA cable and a DVI-D to HDMI and there was still no luck.

Fairfuzzle

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Hmm so when I plug the Dvi - vga cable in my computer and then put a splitter on the vga end? Wouldn't it have lag and just duplicate the displays? I'm trying to get my pc to detect my second monitor :( recently updated my BIOS as I read that may be the problem that didn't work.

Fairfuzzle

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

So my Smartech DVI-D DL to VGA active adapter arrived. Plugged it in and was disappointed to find it had not worked. I then begun to contemplate whether to wipe my PC and install the drivers from scratch. I thought I'd give it another shot so I uninstalled my GTX 760 drivers through the Device Manager and rebooted my system. I then opened the GeForce Experience program and updated my drivers and rebooted my system again and my second monitor was detected! :ouch: Looks like it must of been something with my drivers, even though I kept uninstalling and re-installing my drivers throughout trying to get this to work. So to anyone who's having this problem, just stay patient and you'll eventually be rewarded. In conclusion, the Smartech active adapter worked and there was something wrong with my NVIDIA drivers. Thanks Carl! :ange: