GTX960 cable problems

Raxuin

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
Hello

I just bought a ASUS GTX 960 DirectCUII OC 2GD5 and when I opened up the box I noticed that this card requires an 8pin connector but the old cables I have is two 6pin connectors and I don't know what I'm supposed to do right now.

Sorry for my broken english, It's not my native langue. :)

If the card requires an 8-pin power connector and your power supply only has 6-pin power connectors, you would need to replace your power supply. The 8-pin connector can provide 150 watts. The 6-pin connectors can only supply 75 watts. I have never heard of a reliable two-six-pin to one-eight-pin converter to give you the full 150 watts.

You are talking about the power connector, yes?

Raxuin

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015

Yea the old gtx 560 I had required 2 6pin connectors..

jacedeuce

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Contrary to what has been posted here, I have installed a GTX 960 in my rig powered by a Delta PSU (DPS-600WB) that did not have an 8 pin connector but had two 6 pin connectors. The GTX960 I ordered came with an adapter that converted the two 6 pin connectors to a single 8 pin connector. you can see my whole rig (including the GPU I installed and a link to the specs on my PSU) here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2881169/upgrade-1120t-gtx-960-potential-problems.html. If your PSU meets the power requirements on the 960, I would first try to find a double 6 pin to single 8 pin adapter.

edit: I see that this post is old, but I feel like the information could still potentially help lurkers.