GTX970 Strix suddenly not working.

cyberdomus

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
Been using my Asus GTX 970 Strix fine since November. Suddenly today while play a game, the screen goes black and reboots. From then one, I can only see about 5 seconds of my splash BIOS splash screen, then the video goes black. Onboard video works fine. At first I thought it was the card, but a bit of googleing leads me to believe it may be the PSU. I have a Corsair TX650w. The pins on my PCI E connectors all read 12.27 v. (tried both with same results) Not sure if that's correct for the PSU as I couldn't have that sort of specs.

Some symptoms are when I boot the PC, the 970 fans spin for a few seconds an that's it. I get the same results without the PCI e connected. The fans use to ramp up to full speed as I could hear them before. The PC does boot up even though I can't see the screen. I can remote in to the machine, but the screen is black and I can only see my cursor.

Does a faulty PSU sound logical? I've had it for about 4 years.
MB is Asus Maximus VII hero. 16 gb ram. 1 ssd, 2 hdd.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hmmm, sounds like faulty GPU. If you get boot up and system is working fine, than i would say that the PSU is ok.
Try with one of your friends GPU on your system with the TX650, if it starts up, than you will be 100% sure that the GPU is not working properly.

maurelie

Honorable
Hmmm, sounds like faulty GPU. If you get boot up and system is working fine, than i would say that the PSU is ok.
Try with one of your friends GPU on your system with the TX650, if it starts up, than you will be 100% sure that the GPU is not working properly.

Solution

cyberdomus

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
I'll probably take my card and put it in my buddies machine. Not sure what card he has but I don't think it's high end. I logged a ticket with ASUS since I'm in warranty so we'll see where that goes. I did notice there's a LED next to the PCIe connectors indicating power, and that lights up. I updated my bios as I saw on the website there was a new version, that didn't help. But I got about 10 seconds of video before the screen went black. I'll report back my findings.