Question GTX970 upgrade. Try not to laugh..

ffr2608

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
I have an OLD rig running DCS flight sim and a sit inside cockpit. I an now unable to fly online reliably and would like to only upgrade the GPU for now. Frames are fine on single player so I just need a little bump to get back online. I have a timeframe for a new build next year but would like suggestions for a drop in replacement now.

hint: Someone have a 1080Ti laying around????

I5 4690
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
16gb ram
600w Bronze power supply

I would avoid those single fan models, way too loud, cooling as not as good on the 2/3 fan card design, try smth like this:
see if it fits in your case tho, its 30cm long.

NaClKnight

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
I've had good experience with used GPUs but there's an inherent risk to them.

Used RX 5700 XTs are going for under $150 USD right now and are newer and faster than all of the options you're considering, including the 1080 Ti. That would be my pick for an in between GPU upgrade for you

If you want the peace of mind of a warranty, I agree with MrNiceGuy above.
RX 6600 will cost you around $199 new.

It's a little slowerr than a 5700 XT IIRC, but it's a damn good GPU for the price.

ffr2608

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
A bit overwhelmed at the choices. Adding more links to get you opinions again..Budget is $250. Is the bay adapter an issue? (3.5 to 2.5) plenty of room for 3 fans as entire bay is open To the right. If you want to send a better link for a good solution, please do.
thanks again guys!

A bit overwhelmed at the choices. Adding more links to get you opinions again..Budget is $250. Is the bay adapter an issue? (3.5 to 2.5) plenty of room for 3 fans as entire bay is open To the right. If you want to send a better link for a good solution, please do.
thanks again guys!

Phantom Gaming D for $189 is unbeatable for perf/value.

You power supply though... and that 5700XT. You may consider a PSU upgrade as well considering the age of your PSU. From what I remember, there were no good EVGA 600W Bronze power supplies. I'm guessing its the EVGA 600B. I just had an EVGA 500B die on me and it was only powering 5x SSDs. It was about 7 years old.

ffr2608

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
I did post directly to the flight sim (dcs) server and was told my ram is most likely the issue over the graphics card. I get good frames in single player but multiplayer is a RAM hog. they are getting 40gb of use at some points in multi.
One final question, is there an issue going with a 2x 32 gb ram package on this old of a motherboard?
Thanks again for all the great info. Been out of the hardware for several years.

I did post directly to the flight sim (dcs) server and was told my ram is most likely the issue over the graphics card. I get good frames in single player but multiplayer is a RAM hog. they are getting 40gb of use at some points in multi.
One final question, is there an issue going with a 2x 32 gb ram package on this old of a motherboard?
Thanks again for all the great info. Been out of the hardware for several years.
You should be able to use a hardware monitoring program such as MSI Afterburner to enable an on-screen display (OSD) to show your hardware usage while running the program. Find out if your CPU is maxed out, how much system RAM, and video RAM you are using. Also, temps.

Seems like you would want the extra threads from an i7-4770, which can be had for around $30 on eBay.

I'm sure you can find some decent RAM kits on eBay as well if RAM is absolutely necessary.

Reactions: ffr2608

TRENDING THREADS