[SOLVED] GTX970M won't boost on newer drivers

Aug 20, 2019
I am running a GTX 970M 6GB on a MSI GT72 Dominator 2QD, using Windows 10 1903. The latest working driver was 425.31, every version after (All versions after the "added support for 1903) shows this behaviour.

The GPU simply doesn't boost. It's stuck at its max base clock, regardless of usage and temperature. Voltage stuck under the typical 1.0V at boost; it's at around 0.875-0.9ish. The GPU does downclock normally. When pegged at 100%, according to GPUZ, it will not boost because of the PerfCap reason "idle". Troubleshooting: Observable in all games and in all situations. Both on stock and OC. (OC simply adds + whatever to base clock, the card doesn't boost and doesn't apply boost voltages). Happens on fresh reboots without MSI AB or RTSS booted up. Installing the driver 425.31 fixes the problem immediately without the need to reboot.

Any idea what's going on?

Solution
You may want to make sure you don't have any BIOS updates pending for your laptop. Then make sure you're on the latest chipset and MEI drivers. Then see if after the updates, moving onto the latter GPU drivers allows your GPU to boost.

Lutfij

Titan
You may want to make sure you don't have any BIOS updates pending for your laptop. Then make sure you're on the latest chipset and MEI drivers. Then see if after the updates, moving onto the latter GPU drivers allows your GPU to boost.

Solution
Aug 20, 2019

I am on the latest BIOS; both for the laptop and for the actual GPU (I haven't tried flashing my GTX970M with other vendor's BIOSes, there's apparently a Clevo one that's more recent, but it seems risky. I'm not sure if all laptop GPUs are reference).

Chipset and MEI drivers are also updated, though wouldn't they also prevent the drivers 425 and older from boosting if they were the problem?

The issue persists on a fresh Windows install, as well.

Aug 20, 2019
Have you tried installing the OEM VGA drivers from your Laptop Manufacturer's Website, MSI ? For Laptops in case of any stability issue, it's recommended to try the OEM GPU drivers/VGA.

That driver is not compatible with 1903. The latest driver I've gotten working properly is 425, which is far far newer than the 355 that MSI offers in their website.

The problem is only on 430 drivers and latter.