Guaging Interest... QBert Sound Board Replacement

All,

Thinking about a new project... a Qbert sound board replacement. Would be a
direct plug in replacement for the original sound board.

Would produce all sounds, voice and tones.

Would anyone be interested in this?

Thanks in advance,

-roy-

Since its a direct plug in, I assume it would need the +30. Any chance of
making one that would work with a switcher? Also, I'd say interest will be
heavily driven by cost. under $50 yes, $100 no. Just my 2c

"Chumblespuzz" <nospam@cademo.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> Thinking about a new project... a Qbert sound board replacement. Would be
> a direct plug in replacement for the original sound board.
>
> Would produce all sounds, voice and tones.
>
> Would anyone be interested in this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -roy-

guinness

I'd be interested. Support Krull as well if you can.

tim (NH)

"Chumblespuzz" <nospam@cademo.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> Thinking about a new project... a Qbert sound board replacement. Would be
> a direct plug in replacement for the original sound board.
>
> Would produce all sounds, voice and tones.
>
> Would anyone be interested in this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -roy-

Would it work in a bootleg?

Brent
"guinness" <timburnhamREMOVE@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I'd be interested. Support Krull as well if you can.
>
> tim (NH)
>
> "Chumblespuzz" <nospam@cademo.com> wrote in message
> > All,
> >
> > Thinking about a new project... a Qbert sound board replacement. Would
be
> > a direct plug in replacement for the original sound board.
> >
> > Would produce all sounds, voice and tones.
> >
> > Would anyone be interested in this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > -roy-

I don't think the bootleg sends the sound select bits that the soundboard
takes as inputs.

-r-

"BrentRadio" <newsgroup4@brentradio.com> wrote in message
> Would it work in a bootleg?
>
> Brent
> "guinness" <timburnhamREMOVE@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> I'd be interested. Support Krull as well if you can.
>>
>> tim (NH)
>>
>> "Chumblespuzz" <nospam@cademo.com> wrote in message
>> > All,
>> >
>> > Thinking about a new project... a Qbert sound board replacement. Would
> be
>> > a direct plug in replacement for the original sound board.
>> >
>> > Would produce all sounds, voice and tones.
>> >
>> > Would anyone be interested in this?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > -roy-

>Well, for qbert, that other board is of no use to me. $150 is way too
>spend on it. It might be perfectly justifiable for pinball, but I
think the
>2 products wouldn't have that much overlap in terms of target audience

First off, most GTB games of this era (pin and vid), used the GTB sound
and speech board. It used a special speech chip that gave GTB pinballs
that great speech and Qbert the garble.

Some games like reactor didn't use the speech section of the board and
are easier to find working- and easy to fix.

Building a board that actually GENERATED these sounds, didn't use
recoreded clips, and could be used in any game that had this sound
board would require the cost to be where it is (over $100). Your market
is much greater if you can included similar systems (pinball sys1).

Contact the maker to see if they can include Qbert and Krull (reactor
too). It shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

$150 will be cheap when the supply of working S&S boards runs out and
you can't get your Qbert to say anything.....or there will be a lot of
Qberts in the junkyard.

Kirb

Wow... well I heard there was something being done in the pinball newsgroup.
This looks really sweet.

Since I know nothing about those pinball boards, is the soundboard in a
Q*bert the same as the System 1 or System 80? Can it be plugged into the
Q*bert harness?

They are certainly adding many more and some very cool features that I had
not planned. My board was going to be cheap and cheerful. Same concept -
high quality samples of the original sounds, but mine were going to be
burned directly into the processor chip. Although my design would have been
much less flexible, it would also have been about 1/3 the cost.

Hmmm... well, I guess I'll have to reconsider. Anyone have any opinions
either way?

Thanks,
-roy-

"JB" <james@quarterarcade.com> wrote in message
> I'd just make sure you weren't duplicating work:
>
> http://www.pinballpal.com/gsound/
>
> (not associated with them... and I don't know how far along they are.)
>
> --
> JB
> (james at you know what arcade dot com)
>

> --James Bright
> http://www.QuarterArcade.com
> Restored Arcade Games for your Home
>

> http://tech.QuarterArcade.com
> Reference & debug material. WIP

Well, for qbert, that other board is of no use to me. $150 is way too to

> Wow... well I heard there was something being done in the pinball
> newsgroup. This looks really sweet.
>
> Since I know nothing about those pinball boards, is the soundboard in a
> Q*bert the same as the System 1 or System 80? Can it be plugged into the
> Q*bert harness?
>
> They are certainly adding many more and some very cool features that I had
> not planned. My board was going to be cheap and cheerful. Same concept -
> high quality samples of the original sounds, but mine were going to be
> burned directly into the processor chip. Although my design would have
> been much less flexible, it would also have been about 1/3 the cost.
>
> Hmmm... well, I guess I'll have to reconsider. Anyone have any opinions
> either way?
>
> Thanks,
> -roy-
>

> "JB" <james@quarterarcade.com> wrote in message
>> I'd just make sure you weren't duplicating work:
>>
>> http://www.pinballpal.com/gsound/
>>
>> (not associated with them... and I don't know how far along they are.)
>>
>> --
>> JB
>> (james at you know what arcade dot com)
>>

>> --James Bright
>> http://www.QuarterArcade.com
>> Restored Arcade Games for your Home
>>

>> http://tech.QuarterArcade.com
>> Reference & debug material. WIP

I agree.

I would buy your board for <$50.00, even though I have an extra
working soundcard for my Multi Qbert.

-- Bruce

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:50:38 -0400, "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote:

>Well, for qbert, that other board is of no use to me. $150 is way too to
>spend on it. It might be perfectly justifiable for pinball, but I think the
>2 products wouldn't have that much overlap in terms of target audience.
>
>"Chumblespuzz" <nospam@cademo.com> wrote in message
>> Wow... well I heard there was something being done in the pinball
>> newsgroup. This looks really sweet.
>>
>> Since I know nothing about those pinball boards, is the soundboard in a
>> Q*bert the same as the System 1 or System 80? Can it be plugged into the
>> Q*bert harness?
>>
>> They are certainly adding many more and some very cool features that I had
>> not planned. My board was going to be cheap and cheerful. Same concept -
>> high quality samples of the original sounds, but mine were going to be
>> burned directly into the processor chip. Although my design would have
>> been much less flexible, it would also have been about 1/3 the cost.
>>
>> Hmmm... well, I guess I'll have to reconsider. Anyone have any opinions
>> either way?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -roy-
>>

>> "JB" <james@quarterarcade.com> wrote in message
>>> I'd just make sure you weren't duplicating work:
>>>
>>> http://www.pinballpal.com/gsound/
>>>
>>> (not associated with them... and I don't know how far along they are.)
>>>
>>> --
>>> JB
>>> (james at you know what arcade dot com)
>>>

>>> --James Bright
>>> http://www.QuarterArcade.com
>>> Restored Arcade Games for your Home
>>>

>>> http://tech.QuarterArcade.com
>>> Reference & debug material. WIP

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

or have a separate 30v to 12v converstion ciruit, optinal extra to keep the
cost down..
"Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
> Since its a direct plug in, I assume it would need the +30. Any chance of
> making one that would work with a switcher? Also, I'd say interest will
be
> heavily driven by cost. under $50 yes, $100 no. Just my 2c
>

> "Chumblespuzz" <nospam@cademo.com> wrote in message
> > All,
> >
> > Thinking about a new project... a Qbert sound board replacement. Would
be
> > a direct plug in replacement for the original sound board.
> >
> > Would produce all sounds, voice and tones.
> >
> > Would anyone be interested in this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > -roy-

This would require only +5 volts. It would not be a replication of the
original design. I haven't worked out the final details yet, but my current
design uses only 4 chips. The board would be fairly tiny, but it would plug
directly into the qbert harness.

Once again, I haven't worked out all the details, but I'm expecting a price
under $50. Basically, you could replace your whole sound board for less than
the cost of an SC-01 (if you can even find one).

-roy-

"VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> or have a separate 30v to 12v converstion ciruit, optinal extra to keep
> the
> cost down..
> "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
>> Since its a direct plug in, I assume it would need the +30. Any chance
>> of
>> making one that would work with a switcher? Also, I'd say interest will
> be
>> heavily driven by cost. under $50 yes, $100 no. Just my 2c
>>

>> "Chumblespuzz" <nospam@cademo.com> wrote in message
>> > All,
>> >
>> > Thinking about a new project... a Qbert sound board replacement. Would
> be
>> > a direct plug in replacement for the original sound board.
>> >
>> > Would produce all sounds, voice and tones.
>> >
>> > Would anyone be interested in this?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > -roy-

Just looked at the prints... Krull seems to be basically the same design as
Qbert, just without the voice chip and with its audio amp on a daughter
card. I'll have to do some testing to be sure, but no reason there couldn't
be a Krull version. Probably a Reactor version as well.

Did any other games use similar architecture?

-roy-

"guinness" <timburnhamREMOVE@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I'd be interested. Support Krull as well if you can.
>
> tim (NH)
>
> "Chumblespuzz" <nospam@cademo.com> wrote in message
>> All,
>>
>> Thinking about a new project... a Qbert sound board replacement. Would
>> be a direct plug in replacement for the original sound board.
>>
>> Would produce all sounds, voice and tones.
>>
>> Would anyone be interested in this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> -roy-

I'd be interested in one and a friend of mine would too.

-jeff

"Chumblespuzz" <nospam@cademo.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> Thinking about a new project... a Qbert sound board replacement. Would be
> direct plug in replacement for the original sound board.
>
> Would produce all sounds, voice and tones.
>
> Would anyone be interested in this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -roy-

Erik

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Chumblespuzz wrote:
> All,
>
> Thinking about a new project... a Qbert sound board replacement.
Would be a
> direct plug in replacement for the original sound board.
>
> Would produce all sounds, voice and tones.
>
> Would anyone be interested in this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -roy-

Hi, Roy, I am definately interested in one.

Thanks,

Erik

Sounds great.

Chuk <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote:
: Well, for qbert, that other board is of no use to me. $150 is way too to
: spend on it. It might be perfectly justifiable for pinball, but I think the
: 2 products wouldn't have that much overlap in terms of target audience.

That's why I never bothered mentioning my repro williams sound (and speech)
boards on rgvac :) There's much more $$$ in rgp... heh.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Unfortuantely, sampling the Votrax SC-01a doesn't work as well as one
might hope. The samples done for MAME are only a small approximation of
all the different sounds the chip can make. The Q*Bert code relies on
the random voice playback which, if sampled, would take up a large
amount of space, and even then might not be enough...

tm

Hello. Reactor does use speech:

"Warning.. Core Unstable"

Krull and Mad Planets were the ones without a speech section.

Marcel

kirb wrote:
> >Well, for qbert, that other board is of no use to me. $150 is way
too
> >spend on it. It might be perfectly justifiable for pinball, but I
> think the
> >2 products wouldn't have that much overlap in terms of target
audience

> First off, most GTB games of this era (pin and vid), used the GTB
sound
> and speech board. It used a special speech chip that gave GTB
pinballs
> that great speech and Qbert the garble.
>
> Some games like reactor didn't use the speech section of the board
and
> are easier to find working- and easy to fix.
>
> Building a board that actually GENERATED these sounds, didn't use
> recoreded clips, and could be used in any game that had this sound
> board would require the cost to be where it is (over $100). Your
market
> is much greater if you can included similar systems (pinball sys1).
>
> Contact the maker to see if they can include Qbert and Krull (reactor
> too). It shouldn't be too much of a big deal.
>
> $150 will be cheap when the supply of working S&S boards runs out and
> you can't get your Qbert to say anything.....or there will be a lot
of
> Qberts in the junkyard.
>
> Kirb

What equipment / chips will you be using?
SC01 has 64 phonemes which are millisecond bursts of sound which
spliced together at a rate makes speech.
If using a playback system, you will need a separate sequencer to tell
what phonemes to play. That is the only way you will achieve the random
voice garble of Q*Bert. The other sounds/voices you just playback
normally, I believe.
It will be easier in a sense that everything plays on one channel, that
is, the sounds never overlap each other.

IMHO video game sound effects were more thrilling in thie time. Take
also the classic Williams games for instance.

Marcel

Don't have Q*Bert, but I have a complete set of Reactor samples, all
recorded at 44khz16bit straight from the board. Let me know if you will
need them.

Marcel

>Krull and Mad Planets were the ones without a speech section.

Ahh, I was thinking of Mad Planets...add another one to the want list.

Kirb

This might help:
http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm

Go to the system 80 pinball section, then go to the sound board area
which I helped write with two other guys.

The best part is the test jig. The sound lines are fired when you
"ground" the sound lines in a binary format. You can fire multiples of
all the lines to get all the sounds. The test jig lets you map each
individual sound for each bit. There is no "random" to the sounds
unless the CPU selects a random sound trigger. The test jig also can be
used to "watch" the sound lines when they are being fired by the CPU
with the LEDs.

I set up my test jig with a set of DIP switches that allows you to
select 1, 2, or all the sound lines at the same time. Takes about 30
minutes to map out each sound for the entire board.

Kirb

I think you are slightly mistaken in your statement, but I will have to do a
bit of research to be sure.

You and Marcel are both correct, that trying to sample all the phonemes and
then reconstruct them into the Qbert garble would be difficult. However, I
believe the "randomness" of the Qbert sounds is not that it is random at
run-time, but that the selection of phonemes was random at design-time.

According to the documentation, Qbert has 36 sounds. These sounds are
selected on the soundboard via the address lines coming from the 74LS377 on
the main board. Note I used the term selected. I do not believe there is any
randomness involved, except perhaps the randomness of which of the 36
predefined sounds is selected.

So, my plan was to sample the 36 sounds produced by the soundboard and play
the appropriate sampled sound based on the sound select address lines.

However, I have not done the research into this yet. The purpose of this
post was to determine if I should do the research. Now I'm curious for sure,
so when I have the time I will setup a test rig and cycle through all of the
Qbert sounds. I will post the results when complete.

-roy-

<rgvac_junk@mgcap.com> wrote in message
> Unfortuantely, sampling the Votrax SC-01a doesn't work as well as one
> might hope. The samples done for MAME are only a small approximation of
> all the different sounds the chip can make. The Q*Bert code relies on
> the random voice playback which, if sampled, would take up a large
> amount of space, and even then might not be enough...
>

> tm

Well... Did some research...

There are 36 used sound addresses. Sounds 17 - 22 are the garbled voice
sounds. Unfortunately, things are more complicated than I originally
thought. Apparently, the choice of phonemes does appear random. I haven't
looked into the code to confirm, but I may. The difference between those 6
sounds is not necesarily the selection of phonemes (still not sure), but it
is the pitch at which they are played. The pitch is controlled by U19, a
1408 DAC that sits on the data lines (through a couple of 74LS75s) and
outputs the clock to the SC01 (via an LM741 and a couple of transistors).

So, the selection of those sound addresses appears to play a random set of
phonemes at a pitch controlled by the specific address.

This complicates the circuit I had in mind 2-fold. First, to make a
reasonable showing of it I would have to sample multiple garbled sounds at
each of the 6 pitches. This is basically what is done in MAME.
Unfortunately, this would significanly increast the sample storage
requirements and would still just be an approximation of what the real board
could do. Second, as opposed to simply translating the address select lines
to indicate the memory location of the appropriate sample, I would have to
implement some algorythm (random?) to choose from amongst the samples for
the given pitch. This would clearly indicate that the circuit would require
at least a small CPU (PIC) to perform that function.

Well, this probably puts this project on the back burner, at least for now.
I'll look into how much memory an appropriate set of samples (more than
those in mame) would consume and then determine if it could be done in a
cost effective manner.

Thanks, all, for the input. I will post once I've researched this further.

-roy-