Guest network can not see the Desktop computer, how to?

Hyedwtditpm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2014
I'm using plex to share my media files at my local network. ipad , on the primary wireless network can reach the plex server. But the smarttv that is on the guest network can not see my desktop computer which is connected via ethernet.

My router/modem is Motorola SVG1501 . Any ideas how to configure the router so that wife guest network can see the desktop computer ?

Solution

You are correct isolation really is only use to restrict clients within a SSID. Since different SSID are normally different subnets they are kept separate by vlans. It also in general only restricts within a single hardware device. If you had 2 AP running the same SSID and both run isolation mode you could still talk between wireless devices on different AP. The switch the AP were connected to would have to prevent this since the AP have no way to know if a mac address was coming from a wireless device on another AP or...

You are correct isolation really is only use to restrict clients within a SSID. Since different SSID are normally different subnets they are kept separate by vlans. It also in general only restricts within a single hardware device. If you had 2 AP running the same SSID and both run isolation mode you could still talk between wireless devices on different AP. The switch the AP were connected to would have to prevent this since the AP have no way to know if a mac address was coming from a wireless device on another AP or from the gateway on a remote router.

Solution