Question Guidance for replacing motherboard (and therefore CPU, GPU, and memory) and SSD which has OS installed on it.

krroller

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I have an 11 year old Windows 10 computer with the OS installed on an SSD and and a large array of HDDs configured as a single mirrored storage space drive of 6 physical drives providing about 18 TB of mirrored storage. This is primarily used for personal productivity and streaming with some gaming. It is used in a triple monitor configuration.

The motherboard is experiencing issues and needs to be replaced due to age. The SSD also needs to be replaced with a new SSD for much more capacity.

Replacing the motherboard implies replacing the CPU, GPU and memory as well, which needs to be done regardless before I experience issues due to age of hardware.

I'm seeking guidance on the best steps to do this.

The existing Storage Space configuration needs to stay in tact and be able to added to the new OS as a a single Storage Space drive.

Understanding there are various thoughts on Windows 10 vs Windows 11, I do plan on upgrading to Windows 11 and am not looking for this post to start any discussion on why not to upgrade to Windows 11.

Questions:

Do I install Windows 10 on a new SSD first and then replace the motherboard, CPU, GPU and memory and then upgrade to Windows 11?

Is it suggested to do a clean install of Windows 11 and then connect the HDDs for the storage space, assuming that would work?

Budget for new hardware is around $2000, but more can be allocated if there is good reason for it.
The case is very large and has ample power and air cooling, and can support an ATX motherboard if appropriate to use.

Recommendations for motherboard, CPU, GPU, and memory are welcome. It is desired to run a triple 4K monitor configuration for personal productivity and occasional gaming. Primary gaming is done on a console connected to a 4K projector which is independent of this computer.

krroller

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Indeed, it will require a new OS install which is why I was questioning whether to start with Windows 10 and then reattach the Storage Space drives and then upgrade to Windows 11 OR will it work to install Windows 11 and attach Storage Space drives?
Twice before I have done clean installs of Windows 10 to a new SSD and then after it successfully booted, attached the Storage Space drives and Windows recognized it as a single drive with all data intact. So this is proven to have worked in the past.

Another option I've been considering is to use a spare case and power supply with the new hardware and then if there are issues with the Storage Space drive I can simply keep the old machine on the network and copy the data to the new PC after buying some new HDDs.