Guidance on PSU & Case

L Mel

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2013
Hello, I'm in the process of deciding what parts I want to include in what will be my first self made PC. It's going to be used primarily with gaming in mind.

I'm stuck on what case I should put all these parts into and what power supply would work well with each of them. Here is what I have so far:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30jAm

All the individual parts I've chosen have been what I saw as the best cost to performance ratio, except maybe the monitor. I'd like to keep that pattern going with any suggestions you may have. If you have any other pointers, feel free.

tldr Title + link in message

Solution
Corsair Windowed Case = great quality
XFX power supply made by the best = Seasonic
Low profile ram to fit under the EVO cooler.

After these adds to your build you are set.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.76 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $237.74
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-26 08:02 EST-0500)

Bassim Ansari

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Corsair CX650M is the PSU you are aiming for.

Can't say much about cases ,except if you intend to overclock make sure you get one with good air flow. And also some cases don't support USB 3 front ports. If you are picky, you might want to pick one with USB 3.0 port support.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Corsair Windowed Case = great quality
XFX power supply made by the best = Seasonic
Low profile ram to fit under the EVO cooler.

After these adds to your build you are set.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.76 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $237.74
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-26 08:02 EST-0500)

Solution

L Mel

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2013
Blackbird- When you chose that case, what specs did you prioritize? I've been messing around with different filters on.Newegg but it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of variety between cases. Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong features.

I like your suggestion for the PSU. A hidden gem?

Here's a bunch of features, some more important than others, that I've been considering when looking for a case:

Mid ATX, mainly steel, efficient air cooling, quiet fans, intake filter, wire routing, and specs related to the mobo like usb 3.0 front panel

I don't know if I even need half of that. Getting overwhelmed by choosing a simple case -_-